HILLTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Honister zip wire

armus on 09 Nov 2012
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=524753&v=1

I was suprised to see so many posters unable to understand that tourism per se, is not what those of us who live in national parks want.
What locals need are permanent jobs, not temporary jobs taken by summer visitors.
It is ridiculous to say that summer tourist jobs help locals to permanent employment. It is ridiculous to say that tourism provides houses for locals. It provides holiday homes. Used how many weeks of the year?

There have been some very good aspects of tourism, incoming money obviously, but not least opening up rural areas to tourists who bring a variety of cultures etc. which have informed people from rural tourist areas about other people. But those lessons have been learnt now.
Is it neccessary to have only one industry which, if unchecked, destroys our heritage?
The problem with uber tourismo (I just made that phrase up) is that it becomes to be seen as " those folk are OK, they have tourism" when permanent jobs and more cheaper homes are needed.
Someone (Ridge?) suggested that I guide tourists around the UK when in fact the opposite is true. I have shown people who are interested in the bad side of tourism what happens in the UK.
I suggest that opening the old mines in mountain areas would provide longer term employment. THE MINING WASTE!! some say, on the HILLSIDE!!
So? It is covered in vegetation in twenty years after the mining stops, and has done some good in the meantime.
... not showing 52 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums