/ Super packable Primaloft top.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
davegs - on 10 Nov 2012
Looking for a super packable and therefore light Primaloft jacket or smock.

Probably going to be 60g all over rather than 100g.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Dave
gd303uk - on 10 Nov 2012
In reply to davegs: I can recommend the Patagonia nano puff pullover,
I have one and use it as a mid layer and on its own, brilliant bit of kit.
Also the arcteryx lt jacket is another perfect pice of kit, Well made, functional, looks great .
Both with 60g Filling, coreloft is worth considering .
But for light weight and packable the nano wins IMO.
softlad - on 10 Nov 2012
In reply to davegs: The Arcteryx Atom LT range might be worth a look: they aren't Primaloft, but rather their own proprietary insulation. I've got the Hoody jacket and really get on well with it. It's certainly stuffable. They also do a pullover (again 60g throughout) which weighs in at less than 300g and - not having a hood or full zip - would I'm sure pack down smaller still
softlad - on 10 Nov 2012
In reply to davegs: With lightly-insulated clothing I find fit is very important to gain maximum benefit in terms of heat retention, so I'd suggest you try garments on if at all possible. I own a lot of Patagonia and mostly it fits me very well, but the Nano range seems extremely 'boxy' and would see me losing a lot of heat from the bottom hem (which on certain models including the pullover don't have drawcords). Rab garments, although they make some interesting and well-thought-out items, are even worse for my body shape (broad shoulders, slim hips)
Glyno - on 10 Nov 2012
In reply to gd303uk:
> (In reply to davegs) I can recommend the Patagonia nano puff pullover,
> I have one and use it as a mid layer and on its own, brilliant bit of kit.
>

+1
More-On - on 10 Nov 2012
In reply to davegs: Obviously depends what you want it for, but I can highly recommend the 40g Montane Prism. Works as both an outer or mid layer when on the move and has a great hood. Too thin as a belay jacket for me though.
Fraser on 10 Nov 2012
In reply to davegs:

Rab Generator. Okay, it's 100g in the body, not 60, but it's still super packable and very warm. And I mean VERY.
sharpie530 - on 10 Nov 2012
In reply to Fraser:

I use a Rav xenon. Brilliant jacket. Packs into its pocket and has a hood. It's been pretty hard wearing too really, for the thickness of material.
sharpie530 - on 10 Nov 2012
In reply to sharpie530:

I means "rab!" Damn auto correct!
jockster - on 10 Nov 2012
In reply to davegs:
I have one of these and rate it
http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/insulation/fireball-smock/267

Cheers, Si
James Oswald - on 10 Nov 2012
In reply to Glyno:
+ 2, I haven't worn mine yet but my friend's is very nice :)
davegs - on 10 Nov 2012
In reply to davegs:

Thanks for all the suggestions. The idea is as an emergency layer whilst out running in the hills. Not worried about carrying an extra 300g or so. Will look at the suggestions.

Thanks
Dave
Shearwater - on 12 Nov 2012
Lets have a moment of silence for the Haglofs LIM barrier pullover. Should have purchased a spare :-(
edinburgh_man on 12 Nov 2012
In reply to Glyno:

The idea of the Patagonia Nano puff is good, but they have made a couple of design errors which make it a pain.

1.) The cut is far too square (unless your a porker) - result is lots of dead space and a poor fit.

2.) Hood is too small to go over a helmet.

Arteyrx Atom Lt (60g Coreloft) is a much better design. The fit is excellent and as a result the warmth to weight is much better.
In reply to softlad:

> "With lightly-insulated clothing I find fit is very important to gain maximum benefit in terms of heat retention, so I'd suggest you try garments on if at all possible. I own a lot of Patagonia and mostly it fits me very well, but the Nano range seems extremely 'boxy' and would see me losing a lot of heat from the bottom hem (which on certain models including the pullover don't have drawcords)." <

I totally agree.
Michael Ryan - on 12 Nov 2012
In reply to davegs:

Primaloft 1 or Primaloft Sport

http://www.primaloft.com/en/performance/products/primaloft-sport.html

All the major brands have Primaloft jackets.

http://www.primaloft.com/en/performance/community/blog/find-the-perfect-winter-coat-holiday-shopping...

Arc'teryx use http://coreloft.com/

And now Polartec are launching Alpha.
Ben Briggs - on 12 Nov 2012
In reply to davegs: Nano puff is one of the best bits of kit i have ever owned, perfect winter mid layer or belay jacket when its a bit milder.
In reply to Ben Briggs:

Ben,

How do you find the cut? I had one for ages but I found the cut really square, there was a ton of spare fabric round the front.

Also - the hood, how do you find it? I can only just squeeze the hood over a Meteor helmet which I find restrictive.

I suppose it depends on your shape really.

Neil Pratt - on 12 Nov 2012
In reply to rosmat:

Another vote for the Atom LT - I have the hooded jacket which is a nice trim fit with no excess material at the waist. Like others, I tried the Patagonia Nano Puff but found it wasn't that warm as there's far too much flappy material around the midriff - if you got it taken in by a tailor, it would probably be spot on.
In reply to rosmat: For me the fit is good but not perfect unlike a patigonia shell i have which is spot on. Im 6 foot and would say i have niether a large or skinny build. I have a medium size so dont get any excess fabric but it does mean the arms are a tiny bit shorter than would be perfect. Nothing i have noticed untill now when i just put it on to reply to you!

The pack size is tiny and its very adaptable, in the summer i take it clipped to my harness on alpine rock for chilly belays but have also taken it as my warmest layer for 1000m northfaces this time of year and wear it combined with a base layer and shell for winter stuff (with a down jacket for belays).
fairweatherclimber - on 12 Nov 2012
In reply to davegs:
+1 for nano-puff, my most often used sythnetic insulation.

However I also agree with the comments about boxy design. I have used it over other layers and this has been useful at times. The neck however need a cinch cord to seal better.

If I lost mine I would buy similar with a hood, and defo look at Atom LT; I have other Arcteryx jackets and the hood design and size is the best I've found - plus general design excellence.
In reply to rosmat: The hood is definatly a bit too tight over a helmet and i dont use it that much in that way to be honest.
In reply to Ben Briggs:
> (In reply to rosmat) For me the fit is good but not perfect unlike a patigonia shell i have which is spot on. Im 6 foot and would say i have niether a large or skinny build. I have a medium size so dont get any excess fabric but it does mean the arms are a tiny bit shorter than would be perfect. Nothing i have noticed untill now when i just put it on to reply to you! <

Yeah, I have to admit I'm 6ft but only 65kg - which probably accentuates the fit problem. I also notice the arms are a bit short - especially when you're working with holds / tools over your head.

> The pack size is tiny and its very adaptable, in the summer i take it clipped to my harness on alpine rock for chilly belays but have also taken it as my warmest layer for 1000m northfaces this time of year and wear it combined with a base layer and shell for winter stuff (with a down jacket for belays). <

Yep I agree, the pack size and adaptability are great. I used mine in almost exactly the same way.
iksander on 12 Nov 2012
In reply to rosmat:
> (In reply to Glyno)
>
> The idea of the Patagonia Nano puff is good, but they have made a couple of design errors which make it a pain.
>
> 1.) The cut is far too square (unless your a porker) - result is lots of dead space and a poor fit.
>
> 2.) Hood is too small to go over a helmet.

See also MEC Uplink 2 Pullover http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/InsulatedOuterwear/PRD~5026-943/mec-uplink-2-pullover-men...

~300g Elasticated stitching stretches over other layers and eliminates dead space, helmet compatible hood. Not available outside North America though :(
In reply to iksander: That looks a great bit of kit, shame its not available in europe.
In reply to iksander and Ben Briggs:

> See also MEC Uplink 2 Pullover http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/InsulatedOuterwear/PRD~5026-943/mec-uplink-2-pullover-men...
>
> ~300g Elasticated stitching stretches over other layers and eliminates dead space, helmet compatible hood. Not available outside North America though :(

Just looked at the Shipping conditions - they do ship internationally for $50. So you can get them if your prepared to wait.

cliff shasby - on 12 Nov 2012
In reply to rosmat: Its funny that you say that,unless the atom lt is a slimmer design to the sv.
I had an sv in small and loved the jacket in every way but the fit round the midrift,it was just way to baggy under a harness much more of a snowboard jacket fit than a trim alpine type fit,i sold it and bought a second hand nano puff hoody,this fits much better under a harness but in every other way the atom sv is better !.
i would be interested to know if the lt is actually a slimmer fit,but the lt dosent have a volume adjustable hood which i think is a letdown.
TryfAndy on 12 Nov 2012
In reply to davegs:

Another vote for the Rab Generator from me, superb bit of kit & very toasty
gear boy - on 12 Nov 2012
In reply to davegs: nano puff as said, or montane fireball, omm rotor smock, tnf zephyrus pullover are all nice light pullovers for emergency in the bag stuff,
In reply to cliff shasby:

Cliff - yes the Atom Lt is a much slimmer cut than the SV. Try one for size.

I'm 6ft and slim (65kg) and the medium fits perfectly. My old Nano Puff was like a sack on me in medium.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.