Bouldering forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Yorkshire grit: the best highballs, aretes and wall climbs

Jon Stewart - on 10 Nov 2012
Any connoisseurs of Yorkshire grit want to help me put together a ticklist for the winter's bouldering? Up to about 7a/+ and as the title suggests, I like doing proper climbs with a pad, not scrutting around under rocks, sideways. So, Pebble Wall = in, Virgin Traverse = out, Demon Wall Roof = borderline. You get the idea. A bit fussy I know, but if I want to do any old boulder problem with a sit start and using the polished footholds of a severe as handholds (mentioning no names) I'll just go to a crag with a guidebook. Obscure/long walk-ins are a good thing as they tend to go with beautiful crags and satisfying long days (so long as they're worth it, e.g. Poetry In Motion). Sit starts and eliminates don't make the list, sorry.

Done already:

- Morell's Wall, Pebble Wall (some other stuff at Almscliffe too of course, but these are the ones that make the list)

- Horror Arete, Small Smart Wall,Cleopatra

- Most of what I can at Slipstones, it's a favourite crag, been a lot

- Millstone Grip, Manson's Wall, Daz, Vim

- Poetry in Motion

- Crease Direct

- Permutation Rib, Rabbit Paw Wall, Ripper Traverse, Otley Wall

Already on the list:

- Syrett's Roof
- Red Baron, Phil's Wall, Millstone Grit (somewhat aspirational!)
- Naked Edge, I'll Bet She Does, And She Was
- Hovis/Direct/Superdirect

And if you want to join in ticking the list of great problems that are proper little climbs, give me a shout!
... not showing 24 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums