/ Aviemore in January

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DKNWHY - on 12 Nov 2012
I'm thinking of heading up to Aviemore in January for a cheap weekend. I'm not a mountaineer and am merely a walker. Should I be looking to go elsewhere or generally will there be enough to keep me happy without use of an ice axe?
Kevin Woods - on 12 Nov 2012
In reply to DKNWHY: A question with so many variables and it could be at either end of the scale - hills and glens plastered in snow and ice. Or hills stripped bare of snow. But realistically, yes there's a lot, but I'm not sure I would last a week. A car would help (especially getting up to Glen More, unless there's a bus? I assume there is?) How about walking up to Gleann Einich, up to Ryvoan bothy inc. An Lochain Uaine, Ord Ban, maybe Meall a' Bhuachaille if conditions are good enough. If anything, I think the Cairngorms are one area where the glens can be as stimulating as the hills.
Lankyman - on 13 Nov 2012
In reply to DKNWHY: Aviemore and the surrounds will have plenty to interest you for a lifetime of weekends from forest walks to high mountains. Have a look here for lots of ideas http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/
DKNWHY - on 13 Nov 2012
In reply to DKNWHY:

Thanks for the advice and the link. Looks like that's my decision made!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.