/ alloy welder help asap please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
leehawkins - on 14 Nov 2012
hi, is there anyone here who could help with this.

the mig welder we use at work has starting welding badly but only since the wire was changed. the weld has started to look like there is no gas available but there is. we had an engineer out today and he thinks the problem could be that the pull mechanism in the torch not working would be the problem but i think otherwise.

the new wire is the same gauge but seems a lot stiffer than the old and we have been told there is a different amount of silicone in the new wire to the old. not sure what that means tho

anyone know if the wire could be problem and how its solved if it is

thanks lee
Mikkel - on 14 Nov 2012
In reply to leehawkins:

Have you actually tried changing the settings on the welder?
You sure you are using enough amps?
Steve Perry - on 14 Nov 2012
In reply to leehawkins: Go back to your original wire type and see if it's fine again. You can sometimes get dicky wire reels that are out of date or have been stored badly but this sounds like it's a different spec you've been given.
Mikkel - on 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Steve Perry:

haha, i was thinking about the cables.
And i agree it sounds like they have the wrong type of wire compared to the material its used on.

Once spend a whole night grinding away welds because my colleague on the day shift had used wrong type of wire on a stainless chimney liner.
leehawkins - on 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Mikkel: the settings are exactly the same as before it started playing up, im not a welder but can weld to a reasonable standard the amps are always around the 100-110 and the setting is right for the wire thickness. to describe the weld its turning out rely shiney with a lot of splatter and black all arround the weld not just at start or finish
thebrookster on 14 Nov 2012
In reply to leehawkins:

Double check you are not trying to use a Gasless wire in Gas bottle set-up. The gasless (flux-cored) wire needs the torch polarity to be swapped, so if you use it by accident you'll suddenly discover that you can't lay decent welds any more!!!!

I discovered this the hard way.
NottsRich on 14 Nov 2012
In reply to leehawkins: Post a picture of the bad weld if you can, and an example of a good weld from before the problem. Any way you can check the current from the unit, rather than relying on the gauge/dial?

First though, change back to your old wire if you have any and see if that works ok. As suggested above.
Eric9Points - on 14 Nov 2012
In reply to leehawkins:
> hi, is there anyone here who could help with this.
>
>
> the new wire is the same gauge but seems a lot stiffer than the old and we have been told there is a different amount of silicone in the new wire to the old. not sure what that means tho
>

If the wire is the wrong material then you'd certainly have a problem. You're sure it's the right material? Someone could have stuck the wrong label on the drum.
woolsack - on 14 Nov 2012
In reply to leehawkins: If you are using MIG on aluminium you may have compatibility issues between wire and gas. Does sound as if the wire is a different alloy to that that you had in there before

Find out what wire and gas you are using and ask the question on the MIG welding forum
jkarran - on 14 Nov 2012
In reply to leehawkins:

Which alloy are you welding?
jk
martinph78 on 14 Nov 2012
In reply to thebrookster: This would be my suggestion also
adam11 - on 14 Nov 2012
In reply to jkarran:

Indeed, good suggestion. For my Tig, I've got several different rods for different alloys, and some have different % of silicone in them. Also check the drive wheels in the Mig aren't slipping.
Any photos of the 'bad' weld?
deepsoup - on 14 Nov 2012
In reply to woolsack:
> Find out what wire and gas you are using and ask the question on the MIG welding forum

Which is here (I think): http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/index.php

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.