/ dubai and climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
chris fox on 15 Nov 2012
Hi all,

I am heading out to Dubai for a month with work in Jan, has anyone climbed out there (or is there anyone currently there)?
I've seen on the net there are a few gyms in the city, has anyone climbed/bouldered at the Wafi City one ? Is it any good? any other recommendations of bouldering or climbing walls i can go to after i've finished work? and whats the likelihood to get out on the rock at weekends with locals?

Thanks for any info anyone has

Chris
Carless - on 15 Nov 2012
chris fox on 15 Nov 2012
In reply to Carless:

cheers, i'd searched only for gyms in dubai, but i think i will post on here.

chris
rocky57 - on 15 Nov 2012
In reply to chris fox:

I went to the Wafi, it wasn't a good experience. Very limited in what you can do. They only let me top-rope, and after the one member of 'staff' saw that I knew something about climbing she let me belay our group of three. And she made me use a GriGri; I had tears in my eyes at the indignity of it all.

I've noted now that on the front page of the uaeclimbing site that it says not to bother going there. Wish I'd spotted that beforehand.

chris fox on 15 Nov 2012
In reply to rocky57:

Yeh thanks for that, i noticed it on uaeclimbing too. So any good bouldering at any other gyms? I'm more likely to just do some bouldering after work for a couple of hrs
ads.ukclimbing.com
Lord of Starkness - on 16 Nov 2012
In reply to chris fox:

You'll get a good flavour of who is doing what and where by checking out the facebook page -- http://www.facebook.com/groups/UAE.Rock.Climbers/

Plenty of bold trad routes (if you're in to chossaneering - though many are more solid than you may think!) There are also many excellent sport routes.

I left about 12 years ago - and many of the places I climbed are no longer accessible due to border restrictions.

Enjoy!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.