/ Scotland's shortest winter route?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
chaser - on 19 Nov 2012
So...what is it? Any suggestions?

More interested to hear what people reckon is the shortest a route should be whilst still qualifying as an "actual route". How short is too short?
Dave Kerr - on 19 Nov 2012
In reply to chaser:

I assume you mean recorded and named in a guidebook?

Mirror Direct is given 25m
Dave Kerr - on 19 Nov 2012
In reply to chaser:

The Crack in Coire an Lochain is 20m but it is essentially a variation finish to Central Crack Route.
chaser - on 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Dave Kerr:

Yeah that's what I meant. It'd be interesting to know how short a route could be and still be accepted as a legitimate route by the SMC. You can get 12metre long summer trad routes....
Smelly Fox - on 19 Nov 2012
Siward on 19 Nov 2012
In reply to chaser: from camping by the river to the bar at the Bridge of Orchy hotel can't involve an altitude gain of more than about 5 metres. Difficult enough in the ice though...
Andy Nisbet - on 19 Nov 2012
In reply to chaser:
> It'd be interesting to know how short a route could be and still be accepted as a legitimate route by the SMC.

There's no simple answer. It would depend on the particular route.
CacCarnBeag - on 19 Nov 2012
In reply to chaser: Triangle Buttress on Lochnagar, do-able in one pitch if I remember rightly.

Fin
Richard Baynes - on 19 Nov 2012
In reply to chaser: Eas Ruaridh, near the Drovers north of Loch Lomomnd: it's wrongly marked on the UKC crags map, it's about a km north of there in Coire Ordren. I think I've seen a guidebook length of 30-40m but it's more like 25 and it took me about six minutes. Very good, though.

Fat Bumbly2 - on 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Richard Baynes: Eas Chi-aig by Loch Arkaig must be a contender. a very quick route if you are lucky to catch it. Crux must be the drive up Mile Dorcha - a really icy bit of road.
Big Lee - on 19 Nov 2012
In reply to chaser:

When we did Mirror Direct we ab'ed off above the steep bit which was only about 8m of climbing. Probably placed about two screws (maybe one). Route ticked.
dek - on 19 Nov 2012
In reply to chaser:
Winter Wall at Poldubh? An icy slab that forms in hard winters, must be all of 50-60 ft of grade two. Was in the old Klaus Schwartz guide years ago, on Repton buttress.
Sonya Mc on 19 Nov 2012
In reply to dek: One of the routes that have been climbed on Clach na Beinn must be pretty short.
Andes - on 20 Nov 2012
In reply to chaser:
Grey Mares Tail - Galloway version. 10mof grade II-III, only about 20m from the car park. Shortest route and shortest walk-in I've done.
dek - on 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Sonya Mc:
> (In reply to dek) One of the routes that have been climbed on Clach na Beinn must be pretty short.

We're scraping the barrel now, but what if you're a shortarse?! :-)
IainMunro on 20 Nov 2012
David Cowley - on 20 Nov 2012
Don't know how to make a link to a video on Youtube but check out "the last great chimney on ben nevis is climbed" This could be a contender

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.