/ best value gps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
d conacher - on 20 Nov 2012
Hi there,
looking to by a gps,something simple to use and goodvalue with buttons that can be used with gloves if possible
thanks in advance
dougie
Little Brew - on 20 Nov 2012
In reply to d conacher: there is one coming up today on the Amazon Black Friday week deals.

Few of my Geocaching friends use it and rate it highly.
DancingOnRock - on 20 Nov 2012
In reply to d conacher: Can't go wrong with the basic eTrex. Depends what features you want though as to whether you want a better model.
Sierra Nevada Guides - on 20 Nov 2012
In reply to DancingOnRock:
Depends what you want to use it for but I'd also go for the basic Etrex (10). There's Review of a few here:
http://peaknavigationcourses.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Which%20GPS%3F

mike
kestrelspl on 20 Nov 2012
In reply to d conacher: Another vote for the etrex, it will only give you a grid reference rather than maps, but it does the job of emergency backup navigation device/track logger well.
marmot hunter - on 20 Nov 2012
In reply to kestreslspl:
I've got an etrex 20 I don't use as I have a team-standard Satmap. It has some Alps mapping loaded. Only used about 6 times, got it in March.
Would do a deal for 150 posted if you're interested.
Mapping can be bought and downloaded from Garmin as required.
I actually prefer it to Satmap but have been told I don't need two units...
Carolyn - on 20 Nov 2012
In reply to d conacher:

The basic ETrex are also dead cheap second hand on eBay - I know because I'm selling one for a relative.....

Personally, I very rarely used one that only gave coordinates - it lived in my bag through many a Scottish whiteout, sometimes brought out at lunchtime to check it agreed with where I reckoned we were. Map and compass were still the main way to navigate. Very much an emergency tool. Whereas the newer ones with electronic OS mapping - fabulous! I'll happily use that as my primary navigation tool on the hill, with map/compass as the back up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.