/ Landslide in Cheddar Gorge?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Josh Hadley on 23 Nov 2012
I briefly heard on the news this morning that there had been a landslide in Cheddar Gorge after all the bad weather we have been having in the Southwest. I have had a quick search on the web to see if there is anything about it but no luck, but a friend from work that lives in the area said the road was closed, although this could be just because it had turned into a river during the heavy rain.

Can anyone confirm that there was a landslide, or where it was? I'm assuming that it would have been in the 'Landslip Quarry' part of the gorge which could have destroyed a load of sport climbs along 'The Wave' or 'The Tsunami'. If so, there could be a new face to set new routes on, and maybe new bouldering potential?

I may be over thinking this and more likely some mud collapsed down a slope but either way it would be nice to know.
ChrisJD on 23 Nov 2012
In reply to Josh Hadley:

http://www.thewestonmercury.co.uk/news/landslides_as_floodwaters_rise_1_1706087

"Somerset County Council closed areas around Cheddar Gorge all night due to the sheer volume of water. Highways teams are currently on site clearing up debris"
John Alcock - on 23 Nov 2012
In reply to ChrisJD:
Nop much rock fall but Gough's Cave overflowed and water poured down the road. Should be pics on ITV West at 1800.
ads.ukclimbing.com
deepstar - on 23 Nov 2012
In reply to Josh Hadley: I have`nt driven through the Gorge today but apparently the closure was due to the road surface at Horseshoe Bend being torn up by the flood water.This has happened before.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.