/ Sierra Nevada - Spain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ethan109 on 24 Nov 2012
I'm looking at the Sierra Nevada for climbing/mountaineering excursions. I'm trying to find out online where all the ski lifts are (so I can avoid the sight of them). Does the area have lots of them or in comparison to the size of the range are there very few around?
Trangia - on 24 Nov 2012
In reply to ethan109:

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Sierra-Nevada

The ski resort is limited to a very small area in relation to the whole range.

Take care, you might be in the south of Spain, but the weather can change very rapidly and deaths from exposure in this range are sadly too frequent.

Have fun!
biscuit - on 24 Nov 2012
In reply to ethan109:

http://en.sierranevada.es/

If you're on the South side ( a common way of getting up Mulhacen ) you won't see them, they're on the North side.

Some climbing there too.
Andy Say - on 24 Nov 2012
In reply to ethan109:
As said the ski areas are all on the North side of the hill; and fairly limited. To the South the slopes are untroubled with nice views of Africa across the snowfields. http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=160473

Quite a bit of minor cragging around but you might need to travel.
Boff on 25 Nov 2012
In reply to ethan109: if you have 4wd available you can normally access the snows from the south via high trailheads. No lifts I'm afraid apart from around Veleta area.
Mike H SNV - on 25 Nov 2012
In reply to ethan109:
All the ski lifts are around Veleta (3394m) on its west and north flanks. If you stick clear of Veleta you'll not see them at all. High road heads from the south side are a good bet for getting in and there are bivi huts near Mulhacen. There are details of these on our website. Feel free to contact us for direct for info on conditions, etc. When are you planning to come?

Just for info, the ski resort opens this Thursday.

mike
ethan109 on 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Sierra Nevada Guides: Thanks for that Mike, I was in touch with you not that long ago about qualifications. My parents are looking at emigrating to Spain and two strong contenders are the Picos or the Sierra Nevada. We were possibly looking at going over to the Granada Province in February for a reccy. But I doubt I'll get any climbing or walking in.

Do you have any advice as to how I might be able to find people to climb with over there, currently don't no the language but I'm hoping I'll be able to speak some by the time I'm there in a couple of years time, probably starting with "climb when ready" and "off belay".
biscuit - on 25 Nov 2012
In reply to ethan109:

There are a surprising number of ex pats hidden around Southern Spain.

I have found it easy to get sport partners ( Spanish and English speaking )but not so easy to find trad partners.

If the move to Granada comes off drop me a line. I've been looking for an excuse to get up to Granada way more often.

Do you Winter walk/climb ? My kit is getting dusty.
Mike H SNV - on 25 Nov 2012
Hi Ethan,

Sorry I forgot it was you when responding to this post. If you are in our area during Feb, drop us a line and we can meet up. Happy to share our experiences of the area and house hunting with your parents too!

I can put you in touch with some people in the Lanjaron area to climb with (including us!). This forum is as good as any for finding expats to climb with. I'm sure once you have some Spanish you'll meet some locals.

mike
ethan109 on 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Sierra Nevada Guides: Thanks Mike, will do.
king_of_gibraltar - on 25 Nov 2012
In reply to ethan109:

Ethan, get in touch with Richard at Spanish Highs Mountain Guides. http://www.spanishhighs.co.uk

Aside from his guiding and instructing he also provides self guided support at pretty good prices. He can pick you up from an airport in the area and drop you off on the best point of access to what ever you wanna do.
ads.ukclimbing.com
ethan109 on 25 Nov 2012
In reply to biscuit: Yeah i'll drop you a line if it all works out, won't be living there till about 2015 but would hopefully holiday there regularly so they'll be plenty of opportunity to get on the rock.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.