ROCKTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - "The Asgard Apology"

I was just reading the back pages of last month's Climb magazine when I noticed what looked like a small ad, but is actually an apology. It appears that Leo Houlding, Sean Leary and Carlos Quiroga Suarez were all charged for illegally BASE jumping within Auyuittuq National Park (where Asgard is) in 2009 and warrants issued for their arrest in Canada. Charges were only dropped after they agreed to give a thousand bucks each to an environmental charity and publish the apology in magazines.

http://www.nunatsiaqonline.ca/stories/article/65674mt._asgard_base_jumpers_to_apologize_pay_a_fine/
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/story/2012/10/03/north-asgard-project-charges.html

The apology itself in Climb is a bit lame, it doesn't even say who is apologizing, only mentioning the "the Asgard Project". Perhaps other people involved in the trip are also taking 'corporate responsibility' for the events, rather than just letting the three jumpers take the rap alone? Unsurprisingly perhaps, none of the companies who sponsored the trip put their name to the apology! The text does though say that the expedition knew it was illegal to base jump but did it anyway.

A couple of people seem to have tweeted about it, but I couldn't find any mention of it on British outdoor websites and the like. It's a bit odd that one of the UK's leading adventure climbers and star of a number of widely applauded climbing films having an arrest warrant out for him for doing something illegal as part of a climbing expedition didn't make the news?! It's not like they were selling guns to child soldiers or something but, nevertheless, knowingly breaking the laws of a national park doesn't seem a brilliant idea in terms of maintaining access for other climbers still to visit.
... not showing 99 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums