/ Best long alpine(ish) style ridges/climbs in Wales?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
sebbo - on 28 Nov 2012
Finally getting the finger out and heading to North Wales this weekend, for the first time.
Anyone got any suggestions on the best long climbs (grade II/III) or scrambles? Quality preferred over difficulty as it's my first time climbing in North Wales and haven't swung my axes in a while.
Will be based near Capel Curig.
Nath93 - on 28 Nov 2012
In reply to sebbo: Up Cneifion Arete, onto the Glyders, down Bristly Ridge and up to Tryfan then descend the North Ridge. An idea a guy gave me for a big day out, could also throw something in for the Idwal Slabs.
davidbeynon - on 28 Nov 2012
In reply to sebbo:

The Clogwyn Y Pearson arete is a brilliant grade III scramble. Not done it in winter conditions, but I expect it would be quite spicy.

It's significantly longer and more sustained than the Cneifion, so don't underestimate it.
smuffy on 28 Nov 2012
In reply to davidbeynon: Another vote for Clogwyn Y Person arete or Cwyffry Arete on Cadair Idris. Both very alpine, both fairly long (for Wales)routes but as staed do not underestimate.
Gordon Stainforth - on 28 Nov 2012
In reply to smuffy:

Even better if you approach it via Crib Goch (perhaps via North Ridge of CG) and dip down to it at Bwlch Coch.
ads.ukclimbing.com
sebbo - on 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
Thanks for the suggestions folks.
Heading for Bryn Gwynant this afternoon, looks like it's going to be a pretty good weekend up on them thar hills.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.