/ Cwm Lloer tomorrow?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
JezH on 28 Nov 2012
I'm still very much a novice with winter, so forgive me if it's a daft question, but would something like Broad Gully in Cwm Lloer be in acceptable condition tomorrow? Maybe I'm a bit optimisic, but the guidebook says it's a "classic snow plod" so I thought we may have had enough based on what the pictures are showing. Thanks.
crow-media - on 28 Nov 2012
In reply to JezH:

I posted this before on the SWC thread but this was Cwm Lloer a couple of hours ago...Wednesday.

http://twitter.yfrog.com/z/4rckrbj
JezH on 28 Nov 2012
In reply to crow-media: Great photo, that one was my inspiration for the question. I'll take that as a yes then, thanks.
smuffy on 28 Nov 2012
In reply to JezH: Broad Gully is a long, committed snow plod. When in good condition it's great but if the snow is not consolidated or patchy then it can be a serious undertaking if you are not experienced. Please be sure you are up to the challenge. Another option might be left or right hand Y gully as they are shorter and offer more areas for protection. Both Grade 1/2
I took a couple of mates up right hand Y gully 2 years ago, both had minimal experience at the time but thoroughly enjoyed it. Heres a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7ha1Ozr8Sc
You could then descend the climbers path which in snow is a grade 1 and then try the left hand variant or Broad Gully.
Mike Peacock on 28 Nov 2012
In reply to JezH: Your best bet is to follow this thread:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=523326

Generally gullies aren't a great idea this early in the season - you want the snow to consolidate into something firm. A better bet is probably a wintry ridge; Bristly Ridge, Y Gribin (Snowdon or Glyderau), Seniors Ridge, Daear Ddu, etc all provide entertainment in these sorts of conditions.
bowls - on 28 Nov 2012
In reply to JezH:

I soloed Broad Gully a few years ago when it was thin and all hard neve, whilst it was undoubtedly a great route in condition I found it pretty scary and very tiring! Compared to say easier gullies such as No 3 and Gardyloo on Ben Nevis, I found it more intimidating.. Maybe that was just my perception though(it didn't help that someone had died the day before on the easier gully to the left of it)... But I remember having no where on it I could rest and it was very committing (no easy escape), and tiring too!

However like I say, this could just be my perception and the fact I was soloing...
smuffy on 28 Nov 2012
In reply to bowls:
> (In reply to JezH)
>
> The video I posted was taken on the same day that the guy died in Hourglass gully. We had just completed left hand y gully and were about to start Broad Gully when MRT were on the scene. Not pleasant and very very thought provoking. Stay safe guys.

JezH on 29 Nov 2012
In reply to JezH: I had a great time on Right-hand Y Gully, cheers guys. The turf was a little soft I thought.
Mike Peacock on 30 Nov 2012
JezH on 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Mike Peacock: Yep, that was me. Thanks. I really wished I'd had a camera with me.
ads.ukclimbing.com
George_Surf - on 30 Nov 2012
In reply to JezH:

Did Y Gully right hand and Broad Gully; both were good. Snow was fairly deep and hard. Broad gully was especially good fun!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.