HILLTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - How Long Should a pair of Approach Shoes last?

Giles Davis - on 02 Dec 2012
Hi All,

I've just started to go through the soles on my Meindle approach boots (brown suede type ankle boots , can't remember the name of them). Both pairs have suffered stitching coming undone, and bits of the polymer (not sure whether they're Vibram or Polyurethane material) falling to bits, coming away from the heels etc. This is my second pair in 4 years. Before I ask the question "is this reasonable" I'll give some details of what they normally go through;

I don't use them on the hills even in summer but I do use them for normal walking around towns / cities, country parks, valley walks etc. and also on approach to climbing crags both in the UK and abroad (e.g. Kalymnos, Spain etc.)

I also have a pair of Scarpa Mantra's which I've had for 5-6 years and have been used extensively hill walking in the UK and winter climbing in Scotland up to Grade IV and these appear pretty much bomb proof.

So, at how long should a pair of approach shoes last and what type of terrain should they be able to cope with? Anyone else suffered form this and do you think 2 pairs in 4 years is reasonable? (incidentally I bought both pairs together - trainers and ankle boots - and have worn them at an equal rate).

Cheers
Fuerteman
... not showing 23 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums