/ Mountain / climbing books for teens??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Caralynh - on 02 Dec 2012
I need a Christmas present for my 12yr old godson. We've taken him climbing since he was 6, and he's asked for a mountain book for Christmas. When he was younger we bought him the Mark The Mountain Guide series which he loved, but no more have been produced and now I'm stuck.
Any suggestions??
The Ivanator - on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Caralynh: Probably the obvious one, but for accessibility and adrenaline you can't go far wrong with Joe Simpson's "Touching the Void". If you are after more of a coffee table extravaganza with loads of great photos and a range of lively short accounts of significant climbs then either "Meetings with Mountains" or "First Ascent" both by Stephen Venables should fit the bill.
Yrmenlaf on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Caralynh:

I'd've thought Fiva by Gordon Stainforth (of this parish) would be a good choice.

Y.
muppetfilter - on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Caralynh: how about a guidebook, he will get lots of use out if it and can tick his climbs off ?
In reply to muppetfilter:

Thanks all. A guidebook isn't that great since his Dad (his Mum lost custody and rarely sees him) doesn't climb and we live 200 miles away. His climbing is limited to when we can take him on holiday.

I have found a book written by Jordan Romero, the teenager who climbed Everest, about his experiences. I think Tony will enjoy that. I'm not sure about TTV just yet - we're teaching him that climbing doesn't have to be scary and dangerous, so are trying to avoid stories about epics for a while!

Cheers xx C
OMR - on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Caralynh: Snow Commando by Mike Banks. Always reckoned it was written for young adults - good, gung-ho mountaineering book about his own rather eventful life.
The Ivanator - on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Caralynh: I'd say tales of epics are exciting and engaging which seems to be what most teenagers favour. Doesn't mean they will develop a sudden desire for near death experiences and dash off to the greater ranges.
Actually if he is seduced by Jordan Romero's goal - "To conquer the mightiest of mountains and inspire other kids to dream BIG!" he may be more likely to end up in his own epic than if he reads Joe Simpson!

SethChili - on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Caralynh: Give him Touching the Void . I loved it and I am only a few years older than him .
Enough to put anybody off mountaineering but it had precisely the opposite effect on me .
Alex moore - on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Caralynh: I read "Touching the void" at a similar age, followed by "the white spider" both great books but the best book of this type has to be "The flame of adventure" not all of it is mountains but still a good read.
In reply to Alex moore:

Thanks Alex, for the perspective of someone only a few years older. I think I'll give him TTV for his birthday in January.

I have always promised I'll buy him axes, crampons and boots when he's 14. (We buy him new walking boots every year we take him away since his feet grow, but then it will be time for rigid boots), and that's getting scarily close (and expensive!!)
Jim Walton on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Caralynh: "I chose to climb" by Sir Chris is a good early read
ads.ukclimbing.com
Tradical - on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Caralynh: I have been told this is good for younger readers/climbers. A lot of it is outdated, from a technical point of view, but the spirit of the mountains and climbing remains - it could be some good inspiration.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lets-Climbing-2004-Stephen-John/dp/1904466176

This is only a second-hand recommendation, though. I've never read it myself.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.