/ Grande motte - Guide book??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
sweenyt - on 02 Dec 2012
Hi all,

Is there a guide book that covers routes on the Grande Motte in Tignes? I couldn't find one with a quick google. If there is can someone post me a link to it please. Or even better, does anyone have one for sale?

many thanks,

H
MG - on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to sweenyt: For climbing, I think the last one in English was Graian Alps West by Collomb in, err, 1970. It may be a little dated! I can probably copy a few pages. If you wish email me.
sweenyt - on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to MG:

yhm
Orgsm on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to sweenyt:

Le topo de vanoise. Last updated in 2009. Readily available in pralognan. Assuming you mean the ordinary route. From the col de vanoise hut you go up the right hand side then follow a "path" through the moraine debris and up through a short rock section onto glacier. You then swing left before swinging back right..

The old English guide is so out of date it'd be dangerous to follow that guide. It has you going up the left side, which is a smooth cliff with lots of loose rock now the glacier has receded.

Route marked on wall map in hut and guardian will advise best route for the current conditions.
MG - on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to sweenyt: YH reply but see post above this! Following Collomb always adds entertainment to a climb!
Orgsm on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to sweenyt:

Sorry realised you said grande motte, not grande casse!

Motte is easy. Take cable car to top station. Cross over rope / flag saying alpinists only. Head straight up steep slope above you to join ridge. Follow ride to summit. About 2 hours max from cable car to summit, without checking photo times.
sweenyt - on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to all:

thanks for this. I'm tbh hoping to do either the NF or the Goulotte Ephemere as mentioned on here, but will take a day out doing anything really.

Any further ideas most welcome.

Ta
Orgsm on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to sweenyt:

Other bit of trivia. The old collumb guidebook was written by David Brailsford's (of team GB cycling) father :-)
Orgsm on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to sweenyt:

For the north face. From the top station You traverse west across the glacier. Below some cliffs, before turning left up the north face. 3-4 hours to summit.

There's plenty to do to be honest and you'll have many of the peaks to yourself. If you get the topo guide it also includes topos for many of the rock routes. The aiguille de la vanoise is a fine knife edge spine worth traversing or harder routes on north face. Le grand bec, chassefort, dome de sonailles, a traverse of the vanoise snow field (second largest in w Europe after the aletsch

Enjoy. I'll be in the vanoise again in July, but doing the 2 week walking tour for a change this time.
Orgsm on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to sweenyt:

My other recommendation would be mont Pouri. It is gem of a peak and nothing like its name might imply!
Orgsm on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to sweenyt:

Refuge de Turia for pretty much all the pouri routes.

Oh and you can book the huts online since 2007
MG - on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to A Game of Chance:
> (In reply to sweenyt)
>
> Other bit of trivia. The old collumb guidebook was written by David Brailsford's (of team GB cycling) father :-)

Surely another guide (Ecrins?), or are you saying Collomb was Brailsford's father? (It says Collomb was the author in the guide, no mention of a Brailsford).

Orgsm on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to sweenyt:

Yes I did mean ecrins. When we used that guidebook we called it the Brailsford book of lies....
Orgsm on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to MG:

But the French topo guide from 2009 is the one he wants for the vanoise. Has nice pictures with topo lines as well if Sweeney can't read French.
Orgsm on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to sweenyt:

Photo of cover of my 2001 edition so you know what you're looking for

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28037612@N03/8239092370/
sweenyt - on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to A Game of Chance and others:

big thanks all round, UKC at its best.

ads.ukclimbing.com
Simon4 - on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to A Game of Chance:

> When we used that guidebook we called it the Brailsford book of lies....

Unfair - he probably mostly got the names of the mountains right.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.