/ The tunnel at the back of penny bay, Dewerstone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
SimonMarcYoung - on 02 Dec 2012
It is now on the dewerstone page for you to tick and put in your log book as i know its a well known and done little bit of fun

heres the link, get adding

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=244195
unclesamsauntibess - on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to SimonMarcYoung: who is the Ohing Bloke and why is he there?
SimonMarcYoung - on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to unclesamsauntibess: haha whoops that was a mistake which i have corrected it will just need the non-existent moderator of dewerstone to accept the change
wiwwim - on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to SimonMarcYoung: any chance of a photo? I tried to find this once. I did the offwidth cave with tunnel exit directly above is that it?
ads.ukclimbing.com
Iain Peters - on 02 Dec 2012
In reply to SimonMarcYoung:

Named after my grandfather Keith Lawder, who made the first "descent" back in the 1950s. He was a big man and halfway down became severely wedged. Fortunately there were two companions present, one at the top and the other beneath. Despite his uncompromising position the admiral was still able to direct the campaign for his release. The top man was instructed to cut the braces attached to granddad's voluminous breeches, whilst the bottom man pulled. After a brief struggle the breeches were released to be followed shortly afterwards by the then director of Devonport dockyard resplendent in his long-johns.

He always maintained that had he been wearing a belt he would still be there.

On another occasion we had a similar epic on the notoriously tight Dodger's Chimney at Chair Ladder when his even more substantial brother, Pa, ground to a halt a few feet below the exit. I was ordered to jump on his shoulders whilst my grandfather hung from his boots. All I remember is a series of stentorian grunts, followed by a distant thud and shortly after a pair of very disheveled retired senior naval officers arguing vociferously as they made their way up the gully.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.