/ Anyone climbed at Froggatt Edge?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dave Garnett - on 05 Dec 2012
Froggatt Edge, Wharepapa New Zealand North Island, that is.

Thought we'd drop in there for a day's cragging since we were passing. I know it's not Castle Hill but it's not really a climbing holiday and it'll make a change from Three Pebble Slab.

From the photos in the UKC logbook it looks like pleasant pocket pulling. What kind of grades would Terror Incognito (18), Monsterpiece Theatre (20) and Mr Daddy Longlegs (22) translate to? Are NZ grades comparable with Australian (Arapiles, say) grades? Actually, I'm probably remembering South African grades, in which case they should be achieveable.

laurentb - on 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Dave Garnett: 18 is about 5c ish and 22 is 6b/6c ish. french. It can be quite sharp. its the only place that ive been that you get huge mono jugs!!! Yeah the ozzies and the kwiws use the same system.
Rampikino - on 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Hey,

yes we have climbed at Froggatt (NZ version) and even put up a route there!

To call it pleasant pocket pulling would be a reasonable generalisation, but the pockets can be very sharp and the rock can be very steep. However, the lines are very good. Terror Incognito at 18 is about HVS and quite pumpy at that. Great line though.
1poundSOCKS - on 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Dave Garnett: If your stopping the night, the nearby camp-site is a bit odd, being the corner of the school field. Facilities are pretty basic but it was very cheap. In fact camp-sites can be a bit quirky in New Zealand generally, I stopped on the edge of cricket ground just outside Wanaka.
Dave Garnett - on 06 Dec 2012
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

We're booked in at Bryce's in one of their cabins. We'll need to hire gear too (not taking a pile of gear halfway round the world for a day's cragging), but this all seems to be under control.
Rampikino - on 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Bryce is grumpy but a good guy. Say hello to him from Mat and Cat and he might even smile at you!

Enjoy, we miss being out there.
Dave Garnett - on 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Rampikino:
> (In reply to Dave Garnett)
>
> Bryce is grumpy but a good guy. Say hello to him from Mat and Cat and he might even smile at you!

Will do.

Thanks everyone, I'll report back!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.