/ Is this a New Route in Cwm Cniefon?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Webster - on 06 Dec 2012
Can anybody tell me if this line up in Clogwyn Du Ymhen y Glyder is a new route or if it has been climbed before? I have written a fairly comprehensive route description and posted several photos to aid in identifying it. i will try and make a topo if i can find a suitable crag picture to edit. I know what people will say "there is no chance of climbing a new line of a low grade at such a popular crag" but i have looked in all the guide books i can find and it isnt listed. I would argue that its relativly short stature and being slightly removed from the main buttress could mean that it had previously been overlooked? Please correct me if i am wrong.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=244352
Big Lee - on 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Webster:

Glad you brought up. I was going to email you (as the crag moderator). I'm not sure if this is the unofficially named 'Clogwyn Du Farther Right Hand' route in the UKC logbook or not as have never played that much attention to routes this far right of the main buttress. Might be worth emailing Mark Baggy Richards as he seems to be the closest thing to an Andy Nesbit for Welsh Winter when it comes to confirming new routes.
Webster - on 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Big Lee: Ok how do i find his email address? Thanks
dgp - on 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Webster: Have climbed several lines on this part of the crag over the years - there's some fine pitches of varying difficulty when conditions are good -just makes a nice way of finishing off the day having done a bigger route in the cwm. Suggest there is no need to detail - let people explore
Webster - on 06 Dec 2012
In reply to dgp: Ok doesnt surprise me that many different lines have been climbed at that end of the crag. Personally, and surely im not the only one, when i climb i like to know it is an existing line so that i have something to 'tick off' (i must have a collectors streak in my personality). that doesnt mean to say i dont enjoy climbing for the purist climbing sake, i just get more fulfillment out of climbing a known thing which i can then read about and read other peoples oppinions of it. people can climb and explore and mix-match to their hearts content, but i dont see that as a reason not to fully list and describe recognised climbs at that end on the crag. The lines are about 30m-50m in length and in my mind that is certainly worthy of being a route and not 'mixed-bouldering'.

I would love to be able to claim a first ascent myself, reguardless of a lowly grade, but it may make more sense to leave the first ascent as unknown. But i still think the route should be listed so that other people can follow it.
TonyM - on 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Webster:
I think all those easy lines have been climbed before, even if they haven't been claimed and given route names. I know I did some of those minor lines claimed more recently back in the early 90s.

Have a look on this photo. http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=140762
I think what I've labelled as "Far Far Right", but is called "Even further R" in the Logbooks, approximates to what you climbed. Main differnece is the amount of rime (more in recent conditions) and snow (less currently)

Tony
ads.ukclimbing.com
Webster - on 07 Dec 2012
In reply to TonyM: yep, that looks approximately right thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.