/ Washing waterproofs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
zebidee - on 06 Dec 2012

When washing/re-proofing your waterproofs the instructions for Nikwax Tech Wash say:

> Remove all detergent build-up from the detergent dispenser.

What are people's recommendations for doing this? Is removing the drawer and giving it a good rinse/scrub enough?

What about detergent which might be present inside the guts of the machine?

Would giving it a run through with vinegar as described here be a good idea before washing with Nikwax?

Cheers.
davidbeynon - on 06 Dec 2012
In reply to zebidee:

I clean the drawer out and then run the machine through a cycle with nothing in it. Never bothered with the vinagar.
zebidee - on 06 Dec 2012
In reply to zebidee:
> What about detergent which might be present inside the guts of the machine?
>
> Would giving it a run through with vinegar as described here be a good idea before washing with Nikwax?

http://www.home-ec101.com/how-to-remove-detergent-build-up-in-a-washing-machine/
zebidee - on 06 Dec 2012
In reply to zebidee:

Just got a reply from Nicola Link at Nikwax to a website query:

> Usually just removing the tray and cleaning thoroughly is enough. However if you wanted to run a vinegar wash this would certainly not harm the machine.

... and then ... in response to a follow-up as to whether the vinegar would affect the Nikwax:

> Providing the vinegar is thoroughly rinsed through it should be fine.

Swift support from these guys.
droites - on 06 Dec 2012
In reply to zebidee: surely it would depend whether or not you actually use the tray. We use those liquitab things i.e. never anything ever in the tray. Just a thought. Though I could be wrong.
neuromancer - on 06 Dec 2012
In reply to zebidee:

As a rule of thumb, don't.

Just don't wash the jacket, unless you absolutely have to.
LastBoyScout on 06 Dec 2012
In reply to zebidee:

I normally give the drawer a good scub to get rid of fabric softener - I use the liquid in balls in the drum.

Then I wash a couple of loads of towels with no detergent/softener to flush the machine before the waterproof stuff goes in.

Never heard of using vinegar before.
Ben Sharp - on 06 Dec 2012
In reply to zebidee: In the past I've always been really anal about not getting any detergent on my jackets, thinking it would ruin them. I've now met a few people who regularly wash their jackets in detergent and they still bead up a treat. I really wouldn't worry too much about a small amount of detergent, if you wipe the draw then that will be fine.
cuppatea on 06 Dec 2012
In reply to zebidee:

You are all talking about white vinegar, and not malt?
Just in case anyone reading this thread gets the wring idea ;)

m0unt41n on 06 Dec 2012
In reply to zebidee: I thought Nikwax suggest washing something that is really dirty in detergent and then a few washes with Tech Wash and then WashIn to reproof. Paramo dry cleaned and then reproofed with WashIn my aspira which I thought was leaking.
ads.ukclimbing.com
xplorer on 06 Dec 2012
In reply to zebidee:

DWR is actually pretty robust, washing will only very very slightly damage it. Definatly not enough to effect the beading up.

Gore tex and similar membranes, need a clean for the breathing properties to work well.

Seriously don't worry to much about it. Just wash with a nikwax or equivilant soap. Tumble drying or ironing also helps reactivate the DWR.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.