/ Cordellete what length?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
puppythedog on 06 Dec 2012
I'm off Ice Climbing for the first time in January (Wahoo). It's been suggested I take a couple of Cordellete loops of cord on my harness to equalise belays easily and because they can be cut down for abalakov threads. Seem sensible. It's been suggested I get 7mm thick.
I've googled and come up with a suggestion of 6 metres but that seems like so so much, question therefore is how long should it be? by which I mean how long should it be either looped or from one end to the other (cord) and please let me know which you are referring to. Thanks for the advice.
The Ex-Engineer - on 06 Dec 2012
In reply to puppythedog: That sounds about right. In the US the standard length for cordellettes is normally 20' for the loop length.

They are not something I use, but if I was using them for ice-climbing I'd probably go for 6mm rather than 7mm as quite frankly the extra strength is likely to be wasted.
puppythedog on 06 Dec 2012
In reply to The Ex-Engineer: Thank you Ex-Engineer. Guess I'll fork out for huge amounts of cord then :-)
angry pirate - on 07 Dec 2012
In reply to puppythedog:
Andy Kirkpatrick has some useful info on his site re cordelettes.
Al Randall on 07 Dec 2012
In reply to puppythedog: Hi James. As promised I measured my cordlette. The loop is just over 2 metres so that would make it just over 4 metres of cord to allow for the knot. Commercially available "closed loop" dyneema cordlettes are 240cms long which is in line with other sling lengths i.e. 60cms, 120cms, 240cms so I would imagine that is the logic regarding manufacture. I find the 240cms too awkward to handle which is why I went for a slightly shorter length. The downside is that belays with 3 attachment points can be a little awkward because of the shorter length but in all honesty I can't remember the last time I used a 3 point anchor when continental ice climbing and for those few occassions you can always supplement it with the rope so for me 200cms is just right.

Al
Northern Climber on 08 Dec 2012
In reply to angry pirate: seconded. have a look at Andy KP's info on snake slings too. pretty useful and maybe of more benefit to you than a traditional corellete.
cyberpunk - on 08 Dec 2012
In reply to puppythedog: Just go and buy a 400mm sling and get a 240mm and then you are sorted.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Al Randall on 08 Dec 2012
In reply to cyberpunk: Just checked the prices. 24.95 for a commercial, Wild Country cordlette, 4.80 for a similar length of 7mm cord. I know which I'm sticking with. :-)

Al

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.