/ Glasses mistting.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Runtothehills on 07 Dec 2012

How do I stop my glasses mistting up while wearing snood/face mask, on the hill in this cold weather.

Any advise welcome.

Thanks.
Simon Caldwell - on 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Runtothehills:

Contact lenses
Shady - on 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Runtothehills: RainX? Get it from Halfords and the likes. Also works on camera lens fogging. Aids the beading of water/moisture.
Runtothehills on 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Shady:

Ta, will try that.
Welsh Kate - on 07 Dec 2012
Try that, but I'm with Toreador - having hated the idea of sticking things in my eyes, I moved to contacts when my glasses misted up and then froze over on the Brecon Beacons a few years ago. Someone had to help me down off Corn Du (the indignity!), and it was straight to the opticians and never mind my squickiness about eyes.
a lakeland climber on 07 Dec 2012

Have you tried the old diver's trick of spitting on the lenses and rubbing/wiping clean? (Don't try it after eating chocolate!)

ALC
ripper - on 07 Dec 2012
In reply to a lakeland climber:
> (In reply to Runtothehills)
>
> Have you tried the old diver's trick of spitting on the lenses and rubbing/wiping clean? (Don't try it after eating chocolate!)
>
> ALC

yep I've done that with ski glasses/goggles and found it works fine. just a very small spit though, not the full hacking throat-clearer...
Ava Adore - on 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Shady:

I would worry in case RainX damaged the coating on my lenses
winhill - on 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Ava Adore:
> (In reply to Shady)
>
> I would worry in case RainX damaged the coating on my lenses

Are the coatings on the outside of the lense while rainx (anti fog) would be on the inside?
martinph78 on 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Runtothehills: I wear googles over my glasses whe it's bad enough, and that's the only time I wear a face mask/snood/scarf.

Works well for those limited occassions, but not so good if you are a regular snood wearer I guess.
Hooo - on 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Shady:
I've tried RainX, and IMO it's useless on coated lenses. I used to use it on my motorcycle helmet visor back in the days before anti scratch coatings, but once visors started being coated it did nothing. Tried it on my glasses too. It doesn't appear to do any damage, but doesn't make any difference to water running off. If your lenses aren't coated, it might be worth a go.
One thing that does work for misting (but again only on uncoated lenses) is washing up liquid. Just a very thin smear then polish it off. But, any water on the lens washes it straight off so no use if it's raining.
Hooo - on 07 Dec 2012
In reply to winhill:
I've never heard of a lens that was coated on only one side. It's both or nothing.
Ava Adore - on 07 Dec 2012
In reply to winhill:
> (In reply to Ava Adore)
> [...]
>
> Are the coatings on the outside of the lense while rainx (anti fog) would be on the inside?

I don't know. How can you tell?
thin bob on 07 Dec 2012
not always great and you'll look a bit odd, but a surgical mask/ disposable face mask with malleable wire that moulds to your nose. or a Respro cycle mask.
Both worked for me, even cycling, when you're puffing lots.
Orgsm on 07 Dec 2012

A small amount of washing up liquid ans water rubbed on the inside of the lense.
Mike Lates - on 08 Dec 2012
In reply to Runtothehills: Baseball cap & slow your pace a fraction; works wonders.
Mausman. - on 08 Dec 2012

Cap is good. Contact lenses are perfect. You soon get used to putting them in.
Runtothehills on 08 Dec 2012

Thanks all for the advise, will try some of the things out, excpet the contact lenses, can't bring myself to putting things in my eyes.

Ta all.
MaxWilliam on 08 Dec 2012

I don't think RainX is right product as its job is to bead water so it runs off, it is not an anti-fog coating.

You can get anti-fog coatings for dive applications (such as camera housing lenses). Search for "anti fog spray" under shopping on Google.
colina - on 08 Dec 2012
pop down to your local motorbike shop and get some helmet visor demister .comes in a handy little spray bottle which will easily fit in your rucksack.
definatly works well on my mbike so cant see why it shouldn't work on glasses although a helmet visor is plastic.gd luck
ads.ukclimbing.com
Blizzard - on 08 Dec 2012
In reply to colina:

Ive never found anything that can stop your lenses misting up!
Richard Wilson - on 08 Dec 2012
In reply to colina:

Most glasses have plastic lenses now too.
Ridge - on 09 Dec 2012
There's been a couple of posts regarding using washing up liquid. Theres a lot of salt in it, (so it's thick and you think it's stronger), and to act as an abrasive when used neat on that manky pan. It's not something you really want to be rubbing on plastic lenses, especially coated ones.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.