/ Dog Friendly ridges in Lakes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
sarahjk - on 07 Dec 2012
Further to the 'which dog' discussion [Border Collie of course] I would like to get some ideas for dog friendly walks with some ridges etc for fun. My Border Collie would not like Striding/Swiral Edge etc [not counting the go around path], but is very happy to bound around and 'scramble' steep paths with the assistance of his Roughware harness so just after some ideas.

Looking at the ridge from Haweswater to High Street, The Rigg, for starters. Anyone care to suggest some other walks, with a bit of wow, but not too serious. Primarily Lakes, but other areas too as we like to get away lots.

Thanks

Sarah and Pluto [the BC]
dan bulman - on 07 Dec 2012
over cofa pike onto fairfield is nice.
Ramblin dave - on 07 Dec 2012
In reply to sarahkeast:
Braithwaite to Buttermere or vice-versa - over Sail / Eel Crags and back by bus.
Wainers44 - on 07 Dec 2012
In reply to sarahkeast: Longside and Ullock Pike onto Carlside or down to Dodd is pretty wonderful.
peas65 - on 07 Dec 2012
In reply to sarahkeast:

Grizedale pike from braithwaite is a nice little ridge.

There is a great ridge on blencathra, not sharp edge, but cant remember its name, think it get grade 1 but only for a very short bit. Could be a good intro? Our collie would do it fine, but then he loves scrambling.

Kirkfell is a good steep walk. Crinkle crags is a fun walk with a bit of wow on the bad step.
beth on 07 Dec 2012
In reply to sarahkeast: on to Catbells from Hawes End is a pleasant 'starter ridge'. It's scrambly without being any where near a scramble, IFSYIM. You can then carry on over Maiden Moor, High Spy and back down either side, Borrowdale, or Newlands. Or over the full Newlands Horseshoe. Going up the rock steps up Robinson are better than descent - there are some bypasses if it's wet and slippery, but hard to find in descent.

Halls Fell ridge on Blencathra is definitely Wow! There is one unavoidable very narrow bit with a shear drop that is dangerous, and numerous other tricky bits. Perhaps a rope on the ruffwear harness would be wise. Bypasses on the left and right could be taken as appropriate. One to do in dry weather the first time, I think.

Scales Fell on Blencathra is rather underrated. It's not a scramble in the slightest, just a walk. It's setting is superb tho. And you get to look across at the other ridges to see how you like them. For your dog the saddle at the top contains a tarn, so good for drinks, or cooling off(!).

The Buttermere Edge is a good walk with steep loose bits. Great views make the Wow! bit rather than scrambling. The wide ridge is edged by precipitous crags.
Ramblin dave - on 07 Dec 2012
In reply to peas65:
> (In reply to sarahkeast)

> There is a great ridge on blencathra, not sharp edge, but cant remember its name, think it get grade 1 but only for a very short bit. Could be a good intro? Our collie would do it fine, but then he loves scrambling.

Hall's Fell? And the other ridges up the front are nice as well.

> Crinkle crags is a fun walk with a bit of wow on the bad step.

I met some people coming down the bad step with a couple of dogs once, and had to help them out with the lifting and holding - not sure it counts as dog-friendly unless your dog is either very light or very agile.
peas65 - on 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Collies are very capable mountain dogs, halls fell ridge is the one i am thinking.

On crinkle crags if you dont like the look of the bad step you can go around it easily.

I guess if your just looking for walking ridges then the prison band is a good walk, over wetherlam then up the prison band to do a loop around coniston.

The ride up from newlands onto Robinson is also pretty good.
sarahjk - on 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Pluto didnt think much of the step at Crinkle Crags, and there was no one else around to help at the time. We survived !

Thanks for all the suggestions, need to get up to Northern Lakes sometime soon, as a lot of new stuff up there.

Any ideas for anywhere else ?
boots - on 07 Dec 2012
Steel edge, wetherlam walk up from tilberthwaite usually very quiet but a lovely easy ridge
Boots
nedmoran on 08 Dec 2012
In reply to sarahkeast: I was in Cotswolds in Keswick last week and seen a book that was titled dog friendly walks in the Lakes.
Cath Sinclair on 14 Dec 2012
In reply to sarahkeast:

I can recommend the Rigg to High Street, then return to Haweswater car park via Harter Fell and Gatescarth. It's a lovely ridge and fine for a dog.

Photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrs_butterbur/sets/72157631729608403/

Route card for first half of route here: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=77
IainFP on 14 Dec 2012
In reply to sarahkeast: Well,it's a"ridge" in a very loose sense, but Mosedale horseshoe from Wasdale Head. Camspout up Scafell or vice versa.
Gael Force - on 14 Dec 2012
In reply to sarahkeast: I understand the Great End area is not recommended for dogs at the moment, any dogs found there are either thrown down gully's or collected by the UKC dog police and renditioned to the foot of the crag by abseil.
ads.ukclimbing.com
sarahjk - on 14 Dec 2012
In reply to Vanessa Simmons: Thanks, that is where we went last weekend, it was great, if a little windy. Pluto had a great time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.