/ Biking Videos - Landegla

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ChrisJD on 10 Dec 2012
More McDonald's style trail centre biking, this time at Llandegla (we met up with mate from Cardiff and felt like an easy half way option). Been to Llandegla once before, about six years ago. I do ride natural stuff, honest.

Parts 1 & 2:

http://www.vimeo.com/55214671

http://www.vimeo.com/55233826

Good fun, but tracks not quite as much fun as they could have been: hard to pin down why, but we all came away with the same thoughts. Just too smooth? not rocky enough? Felt peddley on the downhills, so are trails trying to eek out too much from the vertical drop? But we had good worthwhile day nonetheless.
ti_pin_man - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to ChrisJD: I like Llandegla, it used to be my nearest 'no brainer' ride. In the last couple of years they have added enough red/black to start getting it a big enough loop to make it more of a day ride. Previously its been a short blast. BUT I'd agree its mostly more jumpy than rocky, this can still be technical but most of the surface is smoother than less well used centres especially if youre on FS. Maybe the sheer numbers there force them to keep it a smoother line. You could always go rigid SS and see how smooth it feels then? I rode it a lot rigid SS and the upper body got well abused!
highclimber - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to ChrisJD: Llandegla is a weird one. some of it is brilliant but a lot of it is neither here nor there. Coed Y Brenin on the other hand is excellent all round and Penmachno is one of the best trail centres in north wales though not the most varied.
ChrisJD on 10 Dec 2012

Cheers guys, so looks like we are not alone in having mixed thought about the riding then - thought I was just having an off day!
harold walmsley - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to high climber:

Although the Llandegla red is a bit boring in the middle I think the red/black combination misses out pretty much all of the boring stuff after the initial climb. However most of it is straightforward (not really black) unless you go fast and jump, which I don't except for a few small ones. I wonder if some people who could enjoy it get put off by the black rating?

Penmachno is great but prone to ride like a stream in a wet spell.
balmybaldwin - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to ChrisJD:

Interesting to see as I haven't been there. First Vid looks similar to the GOrlech Trail at Brechfa (Red), smooth and flowy (and very quick if you are up for it)

I take it Landegla isn't just down hill?

One thing I would say is - you either need mudguards, or to stop and clean your lens more often (or use a different camera mount), the first part of the vid looks like it's shot on a poor quality smart phone because of all the stuff on the lens
ChrisJD on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> you either need mudguards

Very sensible. LOL. Mud guards not quite my thing.

Saying that, those Neogurad fork things might be OK.

Mud/water on the GoPro comes with the territory this time of year, though I do need to spray some more Rain-X on the Gopro case. Wiping the lens bit tricky on the DH fly.....

Filmed recent ones on a chesty mount. Helmet mounting is a bit of a rubbish POV for most normal riding IMO. Also got RAM mounts for down tube (see earlier Vimeo films), but GOPro would just gets caked this time of year.

But yes, I do need to clean the lens more often, I do try, but the red mist just get in the way and one forgets....

Landegla has up, but up footage would be really really dull on a GoPro: as opposed to mine, which are just dull [so wife keeps telling me]
balmybaldwin - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to ChrisJD:

Ha, was a staunch anti mud guards rider myself, but I think my 30s are getting to me and ive recently bought a set, although as they dont fit havent used the back one yet (must remember to go get a refund!). What I was amazed by is how well the rrp neoprene thing for the forks is, it means I don't get in crap in my eyes now, and especially for night riding don't need to wear glasses anymore which is a big improvement.

Looks like a place well worth a visit, especially as its not just dh
ChrisJD on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> What I was amazed by is how well the rrp neoprene thing for the forks is, it means I don't get in crap in my eyes now, and especially for night riding don't need to wear glasses anymore which is a big improvement.

I'll get one on my list to Santa then :-)

Horse on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to ChrisJD

I would have thought Antur Stiniog was more your sort of thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wih58t6yqs8

Not been yet, planning on visiting in the Spring and mincing down the blue and red.
highclimber - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Horse: I tried mincing down the red there and failed. it is designed to be ridden (fast), not minced down as my hip learned
thejerv - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Horse: You will love it Stiniog is one of the best places I have ridden! We went a few weeks back and managed 12 runs, the blue trail is brilliant, very fast and flowly with plenty of opportunity to get loose and high. I kept pushing it a harder on each run and was absolutely pinning it by runs 5/6 then run 10 I pushed too hard and ended up having the biggest crash of my life haha, I was fine but that was more than could be said for my gear shifter and knee pads, still possibly the best 26 I've ever spent!
ads.ukclimbing.com
ChrisJD on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Horse:
> (In reply to ChrisJD
>
> I would have thought Antur Stiniog was more your sort of thing.

It does look fantastic - was hoping to go soon .... just waiting for the 'right' moment to let the wife know I might be going off to hurt myself....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.