/ GPS

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Sam Simpson - on 10 Dec 2012
Am considering a GPS device but ideally want 1:25,000 map coverage in UK. Handheld device fine. Most seem to just have 1:50,000 loaded which I don't think is detailed enough for trekking or off-road MTBing. Can you advise/recommend a product please?

Not so clued up on GPS's so if anyone can recommend something would be be much appreciated?
Shearwater - on 10 Dec 2012
Garmin plus http://openmtbmap.org/

I use an old Garmin 60CSx with various bits of free mapping taken from openstreetmap. Its reasonably tough and waterproof, and in most of the areas I've wanted to go the mapping data has been of reasonable quality. Also, cos its an ancient and discontinued model you can get it pretty cheaply but there's a shiny new 62St model that replaces it which is a wee bit nicer if you're feeling rich but any decent Garmin model with user-upgradeable maps will be able to take openstreemap data.
CurlyStevo - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to samsimpson:
You'd need quite a big screen IMO for 1:25000 to be a real benefit.
In reply to CurlyStevo: Does anyone own the Oregon 450 Mapping?
In reply to samsimpson: Mapping Bundle*
StuDoig - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to samsimpson:
For what its worth, I have a garmin 62s which I've found pretty good. I've never really struggled with 1:50k scale maps in Scotland (a couple of exceptions like the cuillin etc), and you can always zoom in to increase the scale, though obviously this doesn't add any new detail. I often find the opposite in fact, that 1:25k OS maps tend to be swamped by detail.

As Stevo said - for a 1:25 you'd want a pretty big screen to make it useful.

Garmin do regional 1:25k maps for their devices though if that's what you.

Cheers,

Stuart

myserable old git - on 11 Dec 2012
In reply to samsimpson: If you've got an iphone you could always get RouteBuddy, you can load 1:25,000 maps on that and they work brilliantly albeit at a price. It won an award from TGO magazine this year so I'm not the only one who considers it great. All the features of a GPS the only problem being battery life although I normally get through a long day without complications.
Martin Brown on 11 Dec 2012
Satmap - usefull for both on and off the bike

Nice clear screen (I like it cos its big and readable)
both 1:25K and 1:50K mapping available, along with Waterproof cover and bike mounts)
ads.ukclimbing.com
mhart - on 11 Dec 2012
In reply to samsimpson:

Recently used an oregon 450 through work and tbh the screens too small for 1:25K to be of any real use, I find the 1:50K to be enough most of the time, but then I also always carry a 1:25K paper map as well.

If you get a Garmin you can always buy small areas of UK using Birdseye Select or something like that which gives you both 1:25K and 1:50K...I did this for glencoe and fort william...I think its 20 quid for 600 sq km though I might be wrong. Its good for areas where you visit frequently.

Satmap do SD cards of national parks/munro's/UK regions that are 1:25K, even 1:10K as well for some, but these can be a bit pricey. That said the screen is quite a bit bigger than the oregon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.