/ What are the reasons behind you choosing to climb?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
03alittle - on 10 Dec 2012
Hi, my name's Adam Little. I'm a third year student at Manchester Metropolitan University in Cheshire studying Outdoor Studies BSc. I'm currently conducting research for a third year project into the potential differences between why men and women choose to climb. All results of the survey are completely ANONYMOUS. You do not have to partake in the survey but the more information I gather the better understanding I can develop. Any help would be massive and I thank you in advance for your time. The questionnaire is 8 questions long and will take around 5 - 10 minutes, if that. Any queries, comments or suggestions please feel free to contact me at 10291871@stu.mmu.ac.uk. Thank You.

Simply click on the link below and follow the instructions in the survey.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/K377NGV

Posted with permission of UKClimbing
Wiley Coyote - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to 03alittle:

Done. Just a thought but you may want to consider refining the How often do you climb? question. I suspect there will be a lot of people on here to whom neither daily nor weekly is applicable but who will fall in the 2-4 days a week category. Good luck with the project.
03alittle - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

I've noticed a couple of little things like that such as people have stopped climbing but have taken it back up 30 years later for example. Any feedback, positive and negative, is greatly welcomed because it helps me to evaluate my work to a better level. Thanks for your input and time, it's massively appreciated!
bradholmes - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to 03alittle: Done.
Timmd on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to 03alittle: bump
Lukem6 - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to 03alittle: Elation
I like climbing - on 11 Dec 2012
In reply to 03alittle:
Take climbing up - it will help your project.
TM_Horton - on 11 Dec 2012
In reply to I like climbing: just because someone has joined UKC to post a questionnaire and thus has not filled out a logbook does not mean he/she does not climb. in this case i can assure you that this guy climbs...UK wide, in summer and winter... i know i was there. ;) nice one adam
no_more_scotch_eggs - on 11 Dec 2012
In reply to 03alittle:

Not trying to be too critical, but it was a bit simplistic. After the demographics there was only really one question that was gathering data on the area the questionnaire is investigating.

How did you arrive at the options? Some of them were a bit odd, eg ease of access, and they were not mutually exclusive. Some were poorly defined and I wasn't sure what was meant by them- what does succeed at the sport mean in relation to climbing?

Motivation for something like climbing is unlikely to be meaningfully reduced to a one line statement. Allowing ranking of the options to reflect the fact most people climb for.a range of reasons, would be helpful. Could you get people to write a statement, then extract themes?

As it stands, it looks like it needs a bit more piloting to make sure you get something useful out the end of it

Best wishes

Gregor
I like climbing - on 11 Dec 2012
In reply to TM_Horton:
Interesting. I did do the questionnaire but thought the questions would have been different.....
I never get around to filling out a logbook :)
03alittle - on 11 Dec 2012
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

There're some brilliant points that haven't come up before. I totally understand what you're saying and I'm extremely grateful for the feedback. I was hoping that by allowing people to select more than one option then the most common response out of all results would indicate the main reason for people choosing to climb.

The options came from reading around the subject and my own personal drviving forces. For me I climb (not often mind) for the crack with mates and the success at the end.

It is a working progress so thank you for your time and input, it's greatly appreciated!
BPT@work on 12 Dec 2012
In reply to 03alittle:

I suspect this should have been worded better:

*5. Did you continue to climb after your first experience?

No, because I was in my mid-teens, in a flat part of the UK and knew no-one who went climbing.

BUT

in my early tewnties, when I'd moved and joined a club, I climbed again and have been climbing ever since.

Should I fill in Q6 or answer Qs 7 & 8?

John Lewis - on 12 Dec 2012
In reply to 03alittle: Done, noted I could be both genders and multiple age groups, interesting! ;-)
ads.ukclimbing.com
03alittle - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to BPT@work:

Yes, please do. This is the biggest problem I've noticed with the questionnaire which I didn't consider til people commented on it. So yeah, please fill it in, but explain that you took it up again after you'd stopped.

Cheers, sorry for the confusion.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.