/ Munich climbing /mountaineering shops

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
djellworth on 10 Dec 2012
Hi All. Can anyone in the know point me towards the best stocked alpine/mountaineering shops in Munich town centre? Many thanks. DJE
Lizard - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to djellworth:

This place....

http://www.sport-schuster.de/

Smack bang right in the center (just off Marienplatz)- a 5 story monster that's like Snow & Rock on steroids. It's awesome!
Denni on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to djellworth:

They also have a sports scheck. Another outdoor shop laden with goodies!
Haven't been to the Munich one but if it anything like the rest of them, then as above, imagine 5 floors stuffed to the gills of kit that you don't need but want to buy!

jimtitt - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Denni:
> (In reply to djellworth)
>
> They also have a sports scheck. Another outdoor shop laden with goodies!
> Haven't been to the Munich one but if it anything like the rest of them, then as above, imagine 5 floors stuffed to the gills of kit that you don't need but want to buy!

The one in Munich is different, it has 8 floors full of stuff you canīt afford!
Sport Schuster have the better via ferrata running the height of the building, makes Sport Scheckīs old wall look pathetic. Schuster has probably the better rock boot selection but since they are both within 100m of each other then itīs probably best to visit both anyway.
miho on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to djellworth:
You could also check out Globetrotter www.globetrotter.de , again just a few minutes from the city centre. They also do mail order at typically the same prices as in store so you can check them out beforehand.

Mike
Denni on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to jimtitt:

I used to like the Bielefeld Sport Scheck, 4 floors with a very respectable wall on the outside:

http://www.kletterwaende.info/bielefeld.html

The VF sounds good. Hopefully heading to Oberstdorf end of March flying into Munich so will have a wee look at what I can't afford!

jimtitt - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to miho:
Globetrotterīs not much of a climbing store, at least not compared with the others mentioned. For more hard-core rock climbing and bouldering stuff and better prices is Rumrich in the Innere Wiener Str but they are cult =(odd opening hours and cramped premisis. For snowy/icy stuff then Basecamp in Sendling are probably best, especially ski touring.
Probably the best all round climbing and mountaineering shop in the Munich area is Bergzeit in Holzkirchen, just outside the city (20mins on the train).
tom_in_edinburgh - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to jimtitt:
> (In reply to miho)
> Globetrotterīs not much of a climbing store, at least not compared with the others mentioned.

Maybe not the best for climbing gear but it's extremely cool and well worth a visit. There aren't many outdoor stores with an indoor pool for testing canoes. Also good for kids with a little bouldering wall they can play on.
markus691 on 12 Dec 2012
In reply to djellworth:
SPort Rumrich (rumrich Stone Projects)
Innere Wiener Str. 30
81667 Munich

This page http://klettern-muenchen.de/shops/ also recommends Basecamp.de, I've never been there.
Rumrich is however both cheaper and way more competent than Schuster, Globetrotter and Scheck in my experience. I used to check all four (as they are kind of in a row) but nowadays no longer bother and head straight to Rumrich.
zen50 - on 12 Dec 2012
In reply to djellworth:
I would second Rumrich as already mentioned above. Excellent old-school shop.
AlanLittle - on 12 Dec 2012
In reply to zen50:

Basecamp & Rumrich are far better than the city centre mega-stores. Plus Globetrotter's canoe testing pool is covered over for the winter.

There appears to be another little cramped quirky Rumrich-style shop opening just down the road from Basecamp / up the road from Thalkirchen wall. Can't help feeling the market may be getting a little crowded.

Slightly off-piste regarding the orginal enquiry, but I've been meaning to check out Alpinsport-Basis in Garmisch whenever I happen to be there during shop opening hours. Excellent website.
ads.ukclimbing.com
AlanLittle - on 12 Dec 2012
In reply to Denni:
> will have a wee look at what I can't afford!

Depends what you're looking at, but Rumrich has some of the cheapest rock shoe prices I've seen in Europe, at least comparable to the shops in Arco. E.g. Miura Laces at around 90 Euros.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.