/ Southern Highlands turf frozen?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
chaser - on 10 Dec 2012
Interested in Beinn an Dothaidh NE corrie, Meall Bhuide or any other suggestions - was anyone out today? And was there any frozen turf? Any other info on snowline and quality etc would be great.
chaser - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to chaser:

Bump!
Jamie B - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to chaser:

Not sure if many folk will have been out, there was little enough activity at the weekend.

My gut feeling is that saturation of the turf plus thinning of snow cover and a hard refreeze should be good news, but until someone gets out there it's just speculation.

If you do go for it, please be prepared to turn back if the turf is mince.
chaser - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:

Thankyou for your reply. So do you think two days of re-freeze will be enough maybe? It Looks like there might be a hard frost tonight.

Has anyone got any first hand knowledge of today?
DafMorris - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to chaser: I Went out for an early wander this morning and ended up doing Stairway To Heaven on Beinn an Dothaidh, still some unconsolidated snow about but the turf is bomber, even under the snow. The cliffs of ménage a trois etc were black. The easier routes are holding snow on the ledges but anything steeper has been stripped.

Hope this helps!
Neil Pratt - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to chaser:

Went for a stroll south of there on Beinn an Lochain this afternoon - the turf is well frozen above 350- 400m. Snow is starting to consolidate nicely, although there are still some areas where it consists of breakable crust lying on loose powder. There was a bit of debris from a small avalanche in the little gully on the eastern side of the summit cone - I'd guess it came down during the thaw on Saturday/ Sunday, but still worth being careful.

Have fun if you get out - today was beautiful and tomorrow looks like more of the same.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Scott_vzr on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Ditch_Jockey: Was the main climbing face that faces the road good ? Were any gully lines complete ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.