/ Regluing skins-how to?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Roberttaylor - on 10 Dec 2012
Went for my first ski tour a week or so ago and had a great time. My skins however let snow in at the back, leading to them almost coming off by the time I was finished.

What tools do I need to reglue skins and what glue do people recommend?

R
Dave Kerr - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Roberttaylor:

One top tip if you are doing it in shed or garage is to keep the glue in a mug of warm water. If it's too cold it comes out like snot.
Dave Kerr - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Dave Kerr:

Old, sticky snot that is.
skarabrae - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Roberttaylor: I asked the same question a month or so ago.
First you need to strip off the old glue, by far the simplest way is to cut so.e strips of cotton fro. An old bed sheet, lay over the blues skins then iron over, you'll see the glue soak through, then peel off the strips & bin, you may need to repeat, then spread out the glue with a spreader (as mentioned, keep tube in a jug of hot water), then hang the coins to dry for 24 hrs.
skarabrae - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to skarabrae: sorry, some grammar errors, due to tiny phone predictive keypad & fat fingers!!
I'm sure you'll decipher it!
moffatross on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Roberttaylor:
All good advice above but if the existing glue is intact but just not tacky, you may be able to rescue it. I have successfully revitalised skins by ironing their sticky side covered with a layer of greaseproof paper.
blurty - on 10 Dec 2012
ross - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Roberttaylor: Hi Robert, a few years ago I re glued some skins using Colltex glue from a tube. I followed the instructions exactly but the result wasn't great. Also the glue was about 15, but you can have them done for about 25 at a ski shop in the Alps and they'll be good as new. Next time I do it myself I'll be using the glue which comes in iron-on strips.
Good luck, Ross.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.