/ Reusing skins from narrower skis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
featuresforfeet - on 10 Dec 2012
Does anyone know how much gap between the edge of the ski and the skin you can get away with? I have some new skis that are approx 10mm wider than my old skins on both sides, can I get away with these or need new skins too?
HarryB - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to featuresforfeet:

Should be fine, it might be a slight issue on steep icy traverses though.
jon on 10 Dec 2012

I think you'll struggle like hell! Bin them and get some new ones. Cut them so just the metal edges show.
Gael Force - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to featuresforfeet: They'll be fine 10 cm is not a lot, I managed fine on a pair like this for a while as I was skint.
Denni on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to jon:

I don't know a lot about skins and skis but a guide in Canmore told me the same as Jon. Just have the edges showing anything else, bin them.
ross - on 10 Dec 2012
Hiya, I think they'll be fine. My old skins were like that and they worked just as well as my present ones which are custom cut to my skis.
Cheers, Ross.
Dave Kerr - on 10 Dec 2012

Try them and see how they work?
featuresforfeet - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Dave Kerr:

Yeah, will be able to give them a quick so at the side of a piste but not really a proper test before embarking on the 2 day tour I have planned.

I could cut the old skins down the middle to cover the edges but that's gonna be a pain in the arse taking them on and off.
whispering nic - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to featuresforfeet: You'll be fine with them. If it gets very steep you might have to side step, or go round the side...
Etak - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to featuresforfeet: i used to do just this not perfect but fine on anything but super steep and icy
ads.ukclimbing.com
AdrianC - on 10 Dec 2012
In reply to featuresforfeet: OK - here's the top tip. You do want the skins to cover all but the edges of your skis *at the edges.* You don't need them to cover the 10mm wide strip along the centre of your ski. See where this is going? Starting 10 cm from each end of the skins, slit them along their centre-line, leaving the toe and hell parts uncut. You can then stick the skins on right up to the edges of your ski along most of their length and including the most important section, under your feet. I've seen this done - it does work.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.