/ Foot pain after wearing Crampons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
SAF - on 11 Dec 2012
I have just rediscovered this week how much pain I always end up in after wearing Crampons for any length of time.

The pain is in the ball of my foot, and although it is present when I am out wearing the Crampons (B3/C3) it seems to get worse after (I went out 8 days ago and my foot is still painful now), suggesting some sort of inflamation.

The pain fits this description of Metatarsalgia

"The pain can range from mild to severe and often gets worse when you stand or move. It is sometimes described as a burning or aching sensation and you may have shooting pains, tingling or numbness in your toes. Some people also experience a sensation that feels like walking on pebbles.

The pain often occurs in the area where the second, third and fourth toes meet the ball of the foot."

Does anyone else suffer with this? Anybody got any advice/tips beyond taking anti-inflamatories, whcih is all I can think of?

Sarah

Minneconjou Sioux - on 11 Dec 2012
In reply to Sarah Finney:

I do. Always put it down to the lack of flex in the boot leading to an abnormal foot position when moving or standing for long periods. Never thought to investigate it or take anything for it.
ben b - on 11 Dec 2012
In reply to Sarah Finney: Ouch...
If I haven't worn crampons for a while I get quite achy feet after the first day out - the biomechanics of walking in crampons are massively different from without - paracetamol and/or ibuprofen and getting on with it tend to be my coping strategy. I suspect I get less pain than you do though!

About 20 years ago I tried full length sorbothane footbeds when I kept getting shin splints but I think decent road shoes made more of a difference, but as both happened at the same time I don't know which was more effective.

Good luck

b
aultguish on 11 Dec 2012
I used to get a pain in the ball of my foot and the heel, whilst wearing a pair of G14's with the newmatic binding. As soon as I went onto a GSB binding (using the same boots), the pain disappeared. This led me to believe there was something wrong with my crampon set-up, bindings too tight possibly? Crampon adjusted to short?
Worth having a play to see how you get on, hope you get sorted.
Shearwater - on 11 Dec 2012
> I have just rediscovered this week how much pain I always end up in after wearing Crampons for any length of time.

Which way up did you have the spikes?
Shearwater - on 11 Dec 2012
In reply to Minneconjou Sioux:
> Always put it down to the lack of flex in the boot leading to an abnormal foot position when moving or standing for long periods.

A thought suddenly occurs... what sort of insoles do you guys use? I invested a good few pennies in getting custom footbeds made for my ski touring boots (which are probably less foot-friendly than B3 boots) and they've proven to be quite comfy enough for all day use, up and down.
In reply to Sarah Finney: I used to get quite sharp forefoot pain walking in my winter boots (different types of boots too) but always presumed it was general boot stiffness rather than crampon use. I bought the basic superfeet insoles which seemed a huge investment at the time, but I've never had the pain since and still use the superfeet in most of my shoes. Of course it could have been the placebo effect or just complete chance, but at least the insoles SEEM to have completely solved the problem for me (also stopped me getting shin splints when [more like "if" these days!] I go running).
SAF - on 11 Dec 2012
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Sarah Finney) I used to get quite sharp forefoot pain walking in my winter boots (different types of boots too) but always presumed it was general boot stiffness rather than crampon use.

I think you are probably right, but it is hard one to determine for sure as I rarely use my B3 boots on days when I'm not using my Crampons. I also find that if I twist at all when my foot is gripping well with the Crampons, this is when I get the real sharp shooting pain, as if my foot just isn't capable of flexing in the way it needs to within the rigid boot.

I will certainely invested in some supportive insoles, as it can't do any harm...and might ease things a little.
alasdair19 on 11 Dec 2012
In reply to Sarah Finney: I would try some different crampons or attachment methods. I find walking iwith My terminators really uncomfortable but fine with flatter models, weirdly I had much less discomfort with My freneys than now in My Nepal extremes. Try whatever cheap tweaks u can think of!
SAF - on 11 Dec 2012
In reply to alasdair19: Thanks for the advice. I am on a limited budget but say I wasn't... what combination of boots/crampons would people recommend.

I currently wear Freney's with DMM Gladiators but am only really climbing Grade III ice and gully's and possibly going to try some IV's if the conditions come in.

Could I get away with something less "agressive/rigid" or is what I'm using about right?
nedmoran on 11 Dec 2012
In reply to Sarah Finney: I get these pains too from my winter boots even when not wearing crampons. I got the orange superfeet insoles fit and gave them a year and half(due to the price)but there was no difference. I now have sorbathane double strike insoles and they seem to be a little better but it hasn't remedeed the problem. I'm also wearing Scarpa's by the way.
Tom Nichols - on 11 Dec 2012

Hard to tell with just a description, but it could be Sesamoiditis, some people have little bones in the tendon to their big toe ( it can also be in the thumb)

they are fine and perfectly natural, but sometimes they can get inflammed, often with increased exercise,

sadly the treatment is usually rest, anti-inflamatories, and more cushioning.

hope this helps

tom
Euge - on 12 Dec 2012
In reply to Shearwater:
> (In reply to Sarah Finney)
> [...]
>
> Which way up did you have the spikes?

Now that is funny :o)

As others on here have said... look at footbeds.

Cheers
Eugene
alasdair19 on 25 Dec 2012
In reply to SAF: if u have tiny wee girly feet then a 3/4 Stiff boot may well be enough. Eg m

You will obviously.struggle.on big sustained neve.slopes but on mixed you'll ne alright

antas.there isn't anything to be gained changing crampons they aren't adding stiffness.
CurlyStevo - on 25 Dec 2012
In reply to alasdair19:
rambos add more support when compared to hinged crampons and used on modern b3 boots which all tend to have some amount of flex ( scarpa especially)
ads.ukclimbing.com
philhilo - on 26 Dec 2012
In reply to SAF: The Glasiators look about the same as the older DMM Aiguilles I use which work fine on 4-5-6. Not sure I would want to drop down to anything less technical. Currently on an unknown older B3 or 2 Italian boot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.