/ how many people use indoor walls?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
hillbilly - on 12 Dec 2012
Thinking about the UK population, about how many people use climbing walls, for keeping fit, training etc. I dont think I will get fussy over the difference of bouldering/lead/roped. Or how many climbing walls are there in the UK, public, and/or in schools/private use. The only info I can find is from a 2010 survay, and I think lots more walls have opened since then. Can anyone give me more up to date info?
Monk - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to hillbilly:

Have you tried the BMC? They did a memership survey a little while ago that broke down participation into various categories, including indoor climbing. Also the Sport England participation survey includes climbing and Mountaineering, and gives an indication of number I think.

Finally, people like the Climbing Wall Manufacturers' Association ( http://www.cwma.co.uk/ )and the ABC ( http://www.abcclimbingwalls.co.uk/ ) will probably have some information.
Al Evans on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to hillbilly: Too many, ok for training but a dire way to start out in the sport.
Blue Straggler - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Al Evans:

It's a very GOOD way to start out in the sport of indoor climbing though.

As a near-perfect analogy, do you think that indoor swimming pools are a dire way to start out in swimming?
Bruce Hooker - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to hillbilly:

Stay away, climbing walls are the source of all evil, garlic will not protect you. If you want to get into climbing stay out doors and learn to appreciate that climbing is not really just about technique, fitness and grades, it's about a communion with nature that only real rock and real weather provides... The resulting pleasure is well worth the effort.

IMO.
Bruce Hooker - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> As a near-perfect analogy, do you think that indoor swimming pools are a dire way to start out in swimming?

Yet another stupid analogy, what has swimming got to do with climbing?
Robert Durran - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Bruce Hooker:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)

> Yet another stupid analogy, what has swimming got to do with climbing?

It is an excellent analogy. I love swimming outdoors but I simply can't see the point of swimming indoors so never do it. However my outdoors swimming is just pottering about enjoying the waves and waterfalls and being at one with nature. On the other hand I climb indoors a huge amount because my outdoor climbing, as well as being about being at one with nature, is not just pottering about; it is also about pushing myself physically, ticking grades, burning off mates, getting to the top etc.

Ramblin dave - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Robert Durran:
> (In reply to Bruce Hooker)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> It is an excellent analogy.

No, it's stupid. People who enjoy climbing indoors for its own sake rather than doing it as a way of getting better at climbing outdoors (or not doing it at all) don't enjoy the same things Bruce enjoys and hence they're clearly wrong.
puppythedog on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Ramblin dave: It's utterly rediculous that people should feel able to make reasonable comments on this site which help for others to look at their beliefs in a different way without attacking them personally. What has the world come to.

Personally I think that all of those people who swim indoors only are only really pretending and 'think' they are swimmers unlike those who go outside and commune with nature in an adventurous way. And those that do head outside have little understaning of the risk or how to protect themselves and risk believing that the outside is as safe as the sanitised indoor climbing, I mean indoor swimming.

:-)
In reply to Ramblin dave:
> (In reply to Robert Durran)
> [...]
>
> No, it's stupid. People who enjoy climbing indoors for its own sake rather than doing it as a way of getting better at climbing outdoors (or not doing it at all) don't enjoy the same things Bruce enjoys and hence they're clearly wrong.

Which is another reason why it's a good analogy! You seem ratgher muddled.

ripper - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to puppythedog: what about people who swim in man-made outdoor pools?
Jamie B - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I wish I'd had an indoor swimming pool to learn in. The waters off the North of Scotland are a tad chilly even in midsummer. It took my mother 2 summers to coax me to a point where I could look after myself. 3 years later there was a heated indoor pool in Portree, and my younger brother got to the same point in a month.

I'm sure that you can transfer this analogy to climbing...
Panick - on 13 Dec 2012
Could we use the analogy of running machines in gyms as apposed to running outdoors. Its a way to keep fit, its convenient, warm, and safe while still allowing you to partake in a sport you enjoy?
Bulls Crack - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to hillbilly) Too many, ok for training but a dire way to start out in the sport.

Oh I don't know. Imagine ones joy at finding that outside is so much better than in...unless you end up at some manky sport venue I suppose!
deepsoup - on 13 Dec 2012
> Which is another reason why it's a good analogy! You seem ratgher muddled.

That was sarcasm, Sheldon. ;O)
unknownclimber6 - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to hillbilly:

i think the swimming analogy is perfectly reasonable because it also transfers to kayaking, practice getting your rolls bomber in the pool, in a safe learner friendly enviroment where you dont need to worry about health issue (of your self or student).
i dont know if you have ever paddled/took a swim in grade 4/5 up north in the middle of winter but its nippy!
and using the pool to refine technique before going outdoors was perfect.
Fraser on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to deepsoup:

Having been on holiday recently with a BBT fan, I now get that!
Kieran_John - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to hillbilly:

I climb indoors more often than outdoors, largely due to available time. It's about a 45 minute drive to the nearest outside destination, it's 20minutes to the nearest 3 walls. When you're frequently pushed for time, that makes a difference.
In reply to deepsoup:
>
> That was sarcasm, Sheldon. ;O)

Well I assumed his second sentence was.

Sheldon?

deepsoup - on 13 Dec 2012
> Sheldon?

For some reason you reminded me of him for a moment there. :O)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheldon_Cooper
tom_in_edinburgh - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Panick:
> Could we use the analogy of running machines in gyms as apposed to running outdoors. Its a way to keep fit, its convenient, warm, and safe while still allowing you to partake in a sport you enjoy?

I'd say the climbing equivalent of a running machine would be a pull up bar or campus board rather than an indoor wall. Running machines are gym equipment and not real running because your body does not gain momentum, you don't turn corners and the surface is completely flat.

A closer running analogy for indoor climbing would be track running or running on pavements in the city. It is still running but in a more artificial environment than fell running.

Ramblin dave - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> A closer running analogy for indoor climbing would be track running or running on pavements in the city. It is still running but in a more artificial environment than fell running.

Or boxing / judo / taekwondo vs going out in Mansfield on a friday night.

In reply to deepsoup:
> [...]
>
> For some reason you reminded me of him for a moment there. :O)
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheldon_Cooper

"Sheldon is a Caltech theoretical physicist who shares an apartment with his colleague and best friend, Leonard Hofstadter (Johnny Galecki). Sheldon exhibits a strict adherence to routine, a total lack of social skills, a tenuous understanding of irony, sarcasm, and humor, and a general lack of humility or empathy. He is vocal about his own superior intellect compared to all around him. These characteristics provide the majority of the humor involving him"

He sounds dead cool. I'm flattered.

yogi2749 - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to hillbilly: I climb indoors about 3 or 4 times a week and Also instruct indoors. I know that without my local wall I wouldn't have started climbing as I live in the mountains of Suffolk, with the Peak being a good 4 hours away!

Doesn't mean I don't get up there though...

Yogi
badmarmot - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Ramblin dave:

what you saying about Mansfield, its a fun night go out laughing come back in (with)stiches,

its not that bad now???????

Carless - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to hillbilly:

Been using indoor walls for 30+ years - there's definitely more people now climbing indoor with no intention of outdoor - is this a problem to anyone?

Produces employment & keeps them off the crags - sounds ok to me
Nic on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to ripper:

>>> what about people who swim in man-made outdoor pools?

Or what about people who swim in those pool against an artificial current, so it's like some sort of treadmill...

...and what would happen if you put a seaplane in one of those?
Paul Hy - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to hillbilly: Only this time of year.
ESTBrokenspirit - on 14 Dec 2012
Why r some people so hung up about indoor climbers , get a life I climb coz I love it
Wether thats outside or in , don't be so up your selves we don't all live near a crag.
mockerkin on 14 Dec 2012
In reply to Carless:
> (In reply to hillbilly)
>
"there's definitely more people now climbing indoor with no intention of outdoor - is this a problem to anyone.
Produces employment & keeps them off the crags - sounds ok to me.

>> Right, same as swimming indoors, how many intend to go "wild" swimming?
Same as treadmill running in the gym, how many intend to run elsewhere?
How many indoor climbers progress to the mountains? Very few I think.
All these people are enjoying themselves and keeping fit. There's no law which says they should progress to an outdoor enviroment. (Thank God)

neuromancer - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to hillbilly:

If they aren't the kind of person that wants to go out into the mountains on their own, and nobody decides that they are they only climbing group that the government needs to care about regarding access, then I'm glad that they aren't in the outdoors.
neuromancer - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to neuromancer:

And I hope they never venture so!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.