/ Dmm Renegade Harness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ellenclimbs - on 12 Dec 2012
Just wondering, is the DMM Regatta harness actually a good quality harness?
I have renting one for over a year and have found it very good however I am looking to buy one and am not sure how good this comes on the scale of all harnesses out there. The harness I buy must be suitable for indoor and crag climbing, Thanks
Ellen
wilkie14c - on 12 Dec 2012
In reply to ellenclimbs:
It is very good IMO, the floating waistband makes it easy to fit over your winter clothing and the gear loops remain it the same position. Had mine over a year now.
Blue Straggler - on 12 Dec 2012
In reply to ellenclimbs:

Renegade in the thread title, Regatta in the OP!

I assume you mean Renegade. I had one, lost it 18 months later and when searching for a replacement I spent about 4 seconds looking at one other harness, before just buying another Renegade.

I think there are too many gear loops - instead of three on each side I'd prefer two larger ones on each side, but it is a comfy light harness with very good adjustability (as blanchie14c says, the "floating" waistbelt is a real boon)

But some people hate them and have gone for a harness that I hate due to it being too clumpy (WC Elite Zip Lock Synchro or something).
Not sure where your question is coming from if you have really been renting one for over a year - surely if you didn't like it you'd have looked into other options!
alooker - on 12 Dec 2012
In reply to ellenclimbs: very good quality, great for trad especially. If it's comfortable for you then great, it fit me the best in the shop and I'd advise going to try a few on just in case. Unless you're happy with how it fits you've tried it on rented, of course.
Muel - on 12 Dec 2012
In reply to ellenclimbs:

I have one, it's great for most stuff, however I find it very uncomfortable at times, especially if I hang in it for more than 30 seconds.
In reply to ellenclimbs: Very good: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1333 Mine is now over 4 years old and I still think it is superb.
Dave 88 - on 12 Dec 2012
In reply to ellenclimbs:

Yeah brilliant harness, really like mine. I would say its perhaps a bit over-speced and heavy for indoor, sport or short single pitch, much more than you need. Might be worth looking at something more simple if thats the bulk of your climbing. It really comes into it's own on multi-pitch where you need stacks of gear and will be hanging around a bit (disagree with muel, I think it's very comfy).
victim of mathematics - on 12 Dec 2012
In reply to ellenclimbs:

I've had one for a year and it's generally pretty good, but the fact that the gear loops slope forwards is infuriating. Partly because it's actually quite difficult to use all of the available gear loop space as a result, and partly because anything I put on the front loops just swings around smacking me in the crotch with irritating regularity. If DMM sorted this out it would be a brilliant harness.
In reply to victim of mathematics: It must be something to do with body shape I guess because until I read about people moaning about that on here it had never even crossed my mind. I've found the racks simple and easy to use, whether in summer or with my ice screw racks in winter.
Blue Straggler - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to TobyA:

It's mostly victim of mathematics making the most noise about it - I say this merely because I recognise the bit about nuts swinging around and smacking HIS nuts - must have the text string saved off and ready to paste :-)
victim of mathematics - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Actually I just have a script running that automatically posts a suitable rant about it if anybody anywhere on the internet mentions DMM Renegades.

Kind of like Al Evans and the Peaks.
Dervey - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to victim of mathematics: check out DMM's website. New harnesses to be released in spring and address the problem you mention, along with a few other design changes. (I'm nothing to do with DMM, just looking forward to the new harnesses)

Link here: http://dmmclimbing.com/documents/DMM_Catalogue_2012.pdf , see page 83
neuromancer - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to ellenclimbs:

I like mine, but got the Pro version in a sale and and annoyed that I did. Double back buckles are great and everything, but I don't think I'll ever be able to use it anywhere properly cold because I'd need bare hands to even get close to threading them.

Also yes, putting longer stuff on the front gear loops makes it hit your nuts. The solution is to have the harness actually properly on you (above your hips, like an old man's trousers), and to not put your 25cm draws on the first loop.
In reply to neuromancer:

The other problem I have with it, and this is a biggy, is that the rubber surrounds to the gear loops are JUST too large for the clipping biner of my Wild Country Pro Key's leash to clip to, so I have to slide it to the side and clip it to the tape then push it along the plastic.

Gamechanger right there.
Blue Straggler - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to victim of mathematics:

I'd probably do the same if I were getting unwanted smacks in the crotch so frequently.
Dave 88 - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to neuromancer:

I found this too, but is it really much of a problem? It's only the lanyard clip so you out it on at the start of the day and don't have to worry about it again. Can't say it's bothered me too much.
Martin W on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Dervey:
> check out DMM's website. New harnesses to be released in spring

Rats, looks like they're not doing a new version of the Maverick, which is the harness I have :-( It's the same as the Renegade except the leg loops are non-adjustable. I have a DMM Couloir for winter (I have no problem slipping my gloves off for a few seconds to complete the waist belt double-back) so elasticated leg loops are just fine for my other harness needs. (I got fed up faffing with the adjustable leg loops on my old WC Synchro, although I suppose modern slide lock buckles might make that less of a issue.)

As a harness I find my Maverick just fine. I'm more than happy with the gear loops and, for me, it's comfortable to hang in - I think this latter varies from individual to individual, a bit like shoe fit. If the OP is happy with their experience of the Renegade to date then I can think of no reason for them not to buy one.
In reply to neuromancer:

> Also yes, putting longer stuff on the front gear loops makes it hit your nuts. The solution is to have the harness actually properly on you (above your hips, like an old man's trousers), and to not put your 25cm draws on the first loop.

Ah, I see, I'm just doing it wrong. Silly me.
In reply to Dervey:

Hurrah!

But what will I moan about then?
Dervey - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to victim of mathematics: The colour doesn't match your eyes?
The Ivanator - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to victim of mathematics: +1 regarding the gear loops on the Renegade - absolutely infuriating, completely ruin an otherwise excellent harness.
I now only use mine for indoors after soon sickening of the inconvenience for proper climbing. I bought it after lots of strong recommendations on this Forum, but had to replace within weeks.
Gear is awkward to access and smacks you in the privates, I wore it first for a winter route, and the slopy gear loops that lie flat against the body left me gibbering on the crux trying to extract the right gear, lost amongst layers of clothing.
In reply to victim of mathematics:

I just checked again, and if I put my large rocks / hexes on the first gear loop on the right (for some reason nuts always go on the right hand, cams on the left), my wild country rock 11 can lob me in the right testicle pretty effectively.

I guess I always rack the first two loops with draws in increasing length, with 12cms at the front.

And the pro-key comment was only a touch tongue in cheek.
Dave 88 - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to neuromancer:
> (In reply to victim of mathematics)
>
> And the pro-key comment was only a touch tongue in cheek.

Sorry my sense of humour failure there!

SimonMarcYoung - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to ellenclimbs: I live my Renegade, best harness i've ever had, love having lots of gear loops so you can sort your rack out properly, best harness out there in my opinion, ( i went for the thread back option as to the zip lock one )
jwa - on 13 Dec 2012
I add another vote for the Renegade. It's the only harness I've owned but I use something Black Diamond at work which I don't like. Maybe it's just the way I rack but I like the three gear loops on each side. I always put short stuff at the front so I've never really had the nuts in the nuts problem.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.