/ What skis, bindings and boots for ski touring in Finland?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Flatus Vetus - on 13 Dec 2012
I'm going to Finland in March for 10 days. I will be camping for the duration and carrying all of my kit either in a rucksack or I'll be pulling a pulk. I'll be skiing mostly on the flat, often across frozen lakes or through forests. I will often be in areas where there are prepared tracks but I suspect I will be using skis that are too wide for the loipe (prepared tracks).
What skis/boots and bindings would be the best compromise for this trip? I'm thinking about NNN BC boots and bindings but this would mean that I will have to carry a pair of walking boots! Wearing a pair of Lundhags and using cable bindings would allow me to get away with taking only one pair of boots but I have little experience of cable bindings, how safe are they compared to the modern backcountry (Rottafella NNN BC/Saloman SNS) type binding?

Thanks in advance
FV
Doug on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Flatus Vetus: Not sure what Lundhags are, but I've done all my Scandinavian skiing using leather XC boots (such as http://i.stpost.com/alico-backcountry-touring-nordic-ski-boots-75-mm-for-men-in-black~p~66492_27~150... either with 3pin or cable bindings. Such boots are fine for walking, although scrambling/climbing is a bit awkward die to the 'duckbill'. If anything, cables are more reliable than 3pins (& you can always carry a spare cable)
Dave - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Flatus Vetus:

I consulted my Finnish colleague who does a lot of that sort of thing in Lapland. At that time of year he thought the Lundhag /cable combination would be fine and no special extra-long forest skis/rubber boot combination that are used earlier in the year in soft snow is needed. Not sure what you mean about safe ? Do you mean release or robustness ? I would have also thought a robust pair of backcountry NNN boots would be OK, but have no experience of them so cannot say. Why would you need a pair of walking boots as well if you have NNN BC boots ?
Tricky Dicky - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Flatus Vetus: Like Doug, I've done all my Finnish XC skiing in leather XC boots like the ones in his link. I had a great time visiting the little 'bothies' which were well stocked with reindeer skins to wrap up in. Can't remember what my skis are, they're classified as 'wilderness' skis I think and are wider than standard XC skis, but still fit in the loipe.
Flatus Vetus - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Dave:
> (In reply to Flatus Vetus)
>
> Not sure what you mean about safe ? Do you mean release or robustness ? Why would you need a pair of walking boots as well if you have NNN BC boots ?

I was concerned about the ability of cable bindings to release, I do tend to end up on my arse fairly frequently.
I'll be taking a few days off from skiing hence my desire for a more comfortable boot.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Doug on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Flatus Vetus: NNN BC bindings don't release either but its rarely a problem with free heel bindings.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.