/ Which mountain boots do you wear?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tony the Blade on 13 Dec 2012

I have a small hole in my old Raichle's and have decided to bite the bullet and get a new pair. They don't have to be Raichle's, but having had them for many years I like the fit, and they're very warm, a great all-round winter boot for trekking or climbing.

Outside are currently doing the 90 Degree for £120, I just wondered if anyone has these and if they're fit for purpose? They're going cheap because they've been bought by Mammut and they're ending the current lines.

http://www.outside.co.uk/shop/90+Degree+EXP?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campai...

I'm leaving my current job and the guys here are in the process of a collection for me, I'm not supposed to know but a colleague told me as she wants me to have something I'll use rather than become next months landfill. So I'm probably going to suggest that they get me a voucher to put towards the boots. :-)

So, 2 questions really:
1) Do you have/use the Raichle 90 Degree and if so what are they like?
2) Would you recommend an alternative.

Many thanks, Tony
neuromancer - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Scarpa Omegas on rockrun for 115.
The Ex-Engineer - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tony the Blade: You just can't beat Sportiva Nepal Extremes if they fit your feet - stiff, warm and nigh on indestructible.
CurlyStevo - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:
"and nigh on indestructible."
apart from the toe welts which crack rather easily. Also they are rather heavy!

Mine fit my feet but they really hurt the balls of my feet on long days!
GridNorth - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo: I have just this minute put some Sole mouldable insoles into my Nepal Extremes and I'm sat at the PC breaking them in. I'm told that they work particularly well for this problem which I have experienced on my last couple of trips. Won't know for sure until I get to Cogne in January and get to try them in anger.
In reply to Tony the Blade: I've used 90 Degree EXPs for several seasons. The all-leather version (not the exact model you've linked to but basically the same boot). I loved them - warm, sturdy, plenty of support for climbing. they're more than fit for purpose if that purpose involves plenty of front pointing. But I found them a bit heavy and clumpy to be ideal for long walks, and I wouldn't particularly recommend them for non-climbing use, for that reason.

Last year I got the chance to upgrade to Mammut Mamook GTX, and my thoughts on those are in this review: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/gear/review.php?id=4385

However they are designed very much for climbing and it does of course depend slightly on what you want boots for. By way of variety there's a winter walking boot and a more general winter mountaineering boot in that review too. Any of these work well, in their relevant niche.

But of course there's no point recommending something that doesn't fit you - to state the obvious.
Kid Spatula - on 13 Dec 2012

I have several.

Scarpa Jorasses are my faves for the Alps and Scotland.
Scarpa Cumbres if it's very cold.
Scarpa Mantas I pretty much use all year.

I like Scarpa in case you can't tell.
Tony the Blade on 13 Dec 2012

Thanks guys

My current Raichle's are the full leather ones, they weigh about 2½kg!!! Which is partly why I like the look of the others.

Ex-E, Curly & Grid: I relly do like the SNE's, a couple of mates have them and swear by them - but damn, they're expensive!

Neuro & Kid: Why Scarpa's? Any given reason?

Dan: Great review - VMT
Joe G - on 13 Dec 2012

> Neuro & Kid: Why Scarpa's? Any given reason?

They fit my feet and are good quality, but everyone's feet are different.

I have:
Scarpa SLs - great all-rounders
Scarpa Charmoz - lightweight B2s
Scarpa Vegas - keep my feet warm, a bit heavy
Scarpa Maestrale - ski boots
Scarpa Helix - rock shoes
I did buy Scarpa Mantas a few years ago but they didn't fit me.
Bruce Hooker - on 13 Dec 2012

Another vote for Sportiva Nepal Extremes, best boots I've ever had. They've been resoled once and are still very comfortable and good for rock-climbing considering they are a high mountain boot...never get wet feet either. The bright yellow colour soon fades :-)

PS. If you don't need such a warm boot Sportiva do very similar model with less insulation which is a bit cheaper.
Joe G - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> Also they are rather heavy!

Really? I need to get myself some light modern B3 boots... I thought Nepal Extremes were really light, but I was comparing them to Scarpa Vegas!
David Ponting on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Joe G:

I'm another Scarpa fan - again, they just all seem to fit me nicely and are very long-lasting:

Mantas for winter
Rangers for summer
Vantages for long easy routes (a fairly old pair)
Vapours for harder stuff

I used to like Berghaus, but I had a pair of walking boots from them that fell apart in a year of very light use, so have gone off them!
ice.solo - on 13 Dec 2012

go for something with an integrated gaiter. they all do them these days including mammut.

good luck to those who like them, but god knows why people buy leather gaiterless winter boots any more.
neuromancer - on 13 Dec 2012

How weak are first gen Baturas? In terms of how long one'll get out of them.
Cameron94 on 13 Dec 2012

For winter I've had or have these;

I had Scarpa Manta's
I have Scarpa Charmoz
I have Scarpa Phantom Guides

All excellent boots for diffrent needs provided they fit.
ice.solo - on 14 Dec 2012

i wear them for early season, still have a pair going fine after about 100 days of use (many multiple days on a row)
ads.ukclimbing.com
I like climbing - on 14 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo:
Scarpa Mantas and Scarpa Vegas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.