/ Issue with climbing walls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Why the issue?

Without climbing walls we'd have

1. more polish on rock from those that would have stayed indoors,
2. more polish on lower grades from those that didn't improve their skills by climbing indoors,
3. less poor weather options.

I see Centreparcs as a wonderful option for putting the lazy into a sanitised, flat nature environment that is wrapped in a gulag style barb wire fencing and keeping them from harm by doing daft things such as going into the mountains unprepared.

An equivalent for climbing is the indoor climbing wall. Shirley, this is a better option than putting more pressure on MRT's and expanding the Darwin Awards exponentially?
tlm - on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:
> Why the issue?
>
> Without climbing walls we'd have
>
> 1. more polish on rock from those that would have stayed indoors,

and less polish on rock from those who would never have taken up climbing without starting in a climbing wall.

> 2. more polish on lower grades from those that didn't improve their skills by climbing indoors,

and less polish on lower grades from those who would never have taken up climbing without starting in a climbing wall.

> 3. less poor weather options.

and less options for the dark winter evenings, less options for those who live miles from rock, less steep training ground etc.
cuppatea on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to tlm:

Yeah but no but.

The greater the number of climbers the more kit sold and the better/cheaper it becomes..
Jon Stewart - on 13 Dec 2012

Tlm's right that there'd be less climbers without climbing walls, so they're contributing to traffic rather than calming it. Often, more traffic is a good thing, there are lots of dirty crags and forgotten routes. I find it amazing for example, that Chee Tor, possibly the best limestone crag in the Peak for the low-E plodder, is neglected and filthy.

There's an optimal amount of traffic, and sadly in the Peak this is far exceeded. I think that the rise of the big trendy bouldering wall has contributed significantly to this (oddly in Yorkshire which has got the Depot, Citybloc, Rokt and the Barn, plus the Leeds Wall, there's still not that much traffic on the rock compared to the Peak). As such, I think they (let's be honest I'm talking specifically about Climbing Works here) could do more to educate people about how to go bouldering outdoors without being a prick. By 'being a prick' I'm basically talking about overchalking and overbrushing, rather than wearing a hat and no shirt, but it would be nice if they could do something about that too.
999thAndy on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart:

The peak is ringed with towns and cities - Sheffield, Chesterfield, Derby, Stoke, Manchester, Huddersfield; whereas Yorkshire is empty once north of Leeds ;-)
Steph-in-the-West on 13 Dec 2012
I climb once a week at Granite Planet in Penryn Cornwall. Because of this I am now beginning to push 5b (English grade) whereas I'd never climbed more than 4b indoors. I'm sure this will transfer to pushing outdoor grades next summer.....This for me makes indoor walls great - as well as having great fun every Friday
Legionreturns on 14 Dec 2012
Without climbing walls where would all the little hitlers that are too scared to work outside work? Their chalky domains need to be full of "novices" so they can stomp around telling people there IS only one way to skin a cat...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.