/ Thule hang-on 3 bike carrier help required

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
martinph78 on 13 Dec 2012
Hi all,

I have purchased a bike carrier second hand but it isn't the model I thought it would be. If I can make it work I'll keep it, but I can't get it to fit my towball either :(

It is this one (found whilst trying to search for the model number):

http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/blnc/121121/490r1/02536ad_20.jpeg

It was sold to me as a 974 which it isn't. I have a standard towball on an A4 but the rack won't sit right, it leans back towards the car and the clamp doesn't do up!

There is a plate at the front which look like it has two screw holes in it for adjustment, but I've tried this and it only fits the carrier one way (so why two holes?).

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Martin
Father Noel Furlong on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Martin1978:

Is it the model the Thule website recommends for your car, if not complain. They gave me a free towball carrier when I complained their website contained incorrect information.
In reply to Father Noel Furlong: I don't know what model it is, as I say, bought second hand from Amazon. It says that it should fit all tow bars. I was looking at the 974 on Amazon and it had "1 used" available, so I thought "why not", don't mind if it's got some scratches etc.

Not sure what has turned up, maybe an older version of the 974?

Going to try it on my friends tow bar tomorrow, see if it is just mine or not. If it's my towball I imagine all of the Thule hang-ons will be the same (ie not fit)?

Why is nothing ever easy :(
Father Noel Furlong on 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Martin1978:

No chance of a deal from Thule then....good luck, tow bar carriers are def the way to go.
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:
tow bar carriers are def the way to go.

That's what I was hoping! Lets hope it fits my mates towball tomorrow.

Cheers anyway, hopefully someone will recognise the model from the photo. Will return it to the seller as mis-sold if not, as it isn't what was advertised.
ads.ukclimbing.com
martinph78 on 14 Dec 2012
In reply to Martin1978: Fits my mates towball so had another look and adjusted the back plate. It now fits mine!

Cool, no more muddy bikes in the car and folding the rear seats etc.

Actually quite quick and easy to put on, more so than dropping teh seats, emptying the boot etc :)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.