/ MEC Gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The bandit - on 14 Dec 2012
Does anyone have experience of ordering from MEC Canada to the UK? Other than join are there additional fees for international postage and/or importing? They look to have to good, well priced kit and i'm working out if it is worth the bother.
cheers
nufkin - on 14 Dec 2012
In reply to The bandit:

Not with MEC in particular, but there are bound to be higher fees for international postage. The greater problem is likely to be getting it past customs; if they rumble that you've bought from overseas, you may have to pay the relevant tax, after which point it's all unlikely to have been any worthwhile saving.
I've had things from NA privately sent as gifts which have slipped through, so you may be able to ask them to do this - I suppose it depends how law abiding your vendor is
G Graham - on 14 Dec 2012
In reply to The bandit:
You are far better off ordering from the EU or UK. They charge high shipping costs for overseas shipments and you will get charged tax at UK customs. Honestly, it's not worth the hassle.
Iain Thow - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to The bandit: Use it as an excuse to have a trip to Canada & buy it there. They do make good kit at good prices.
iksander on 18 Dec 2012
In reply to The bandit: Postage to UK is $50CAD plus duty and handling fees. Shame cos it's great gear
zerog on 18 Dec 2012
In reply to The bandit: MEC won't charge you Canadian sales tax but I guarantee you that you'll be paying HMRC 20% on top of that price for VAT.

I had a care package from Canada slapped with a 20% VAT because it exceeded the gift threshold of 50.
Axel Smeets - on 18 Dec 2012
In reply to The bandit:

I've only bought MEC stuff when in Canada so can't comment on the postage situation but I can certainly vouch for the quality of product. I have a merino base layer (top and bottoms) and it's easily the best base layer product I own. My brother also a MEC shell which has lasted six years and is still going strong. His wife has lots of MEC stuff (she's Canadian) and she swears by it.
LastBoyScout on 18 Dec 2012
In reply to The bandit:

I've bought lots of stuff from MEC, but not their own branded kit - but I know several people that have and are perfectly happy with it.

I get it couriered over by friends in Ottawa, so postage isn't an issue.
Robert Durran - on 18 Dec 2012
In reply to LastBoyScout:
> (In reply to The bandit)
>
> I've bought lots of stuff from MEC, but not their own branded kit - but I know several people that have and are perfectly happy with it.

My experience (a few years back) is that it is very well made and excellent value - I have a huge kit bag which I have used and abused loads for 15 years and it is almost as good as new.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.