/ How do you dry Skytec Argon gloves?!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
George_Surf - on 14 Dec 2012
This might sound a bit stupid, but i was wandering how everyone dries their Skytec Argon gloves? They're great gloves (as recommended on here) but it takes me about 3 days to get them dry after a day out, and thats on the Aga! Any recommendations? Cheers, George
Neil Pratt - on 14 Dec 2012
In reply to George_Surf:

top of the heater for me - or wearing them in dry weather works well too. I suppose the good news is they stay plenty warm even if you're wearing them while they're still a bit damp.
oliverk - on 14 Dec 2012
In reply to George_Surf:

I found similar problems. I tried turning them partially inside out but not sure if this helps.

At 6 a pair, one option is just to buy loads of them
George_Surf - on 14 Dec 2012
In reply to George_Surf:

yeah ive got a couple of pairs so it's not too bad. still, they seem to hold moisture in them FOREVER! I think im going to melt the rubber before they actually dry. Has anyone tried stuffing newspaper/ putting something inside to hold them open so the wet air can escape?
wee jamie on 14 Dec 2012
In reply to George_Surf: Yep tried that. Don't bother, just turn partially inside out (forget trying to turn the fingers inside out!) and leave on a radiator - they should dry pretty quickly.
I'm not a huge fan of these gloves, considering all the hype - they get too damp and therefore too cold for me.
skarabrae - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to wee jamie: I agree with you there, all hype,I use em for work in winter (construction) & they're ok for that, for winter I use purpose made winter mountaineering gloves, although I do think they'd be useful when plunging thru wet snow to get to the start of a route, then change over to "proper" gloves for the route itself.
wilkie14c - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to George_Surf: I don't have these gloves but do use some similar sounding ones from the pouind shop for sea fishing and they take ages to dry too. I chuck a few packs of silica gel in them and it works a treat. You can buy packs of silica gel off ebay very cheaply, also peal rice or similar would work too.
peebles boy - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to George_Surf:

Assume you mean that they take ages to dry unless you turn them inside out...
I know this isn't as easy as it seems, but bear with me here as to how I'm doing it!!

First, pull them inside out as much as you can, BUT LEAVE YOUR FINGERS IN THEM!!
Second, find a tent pole/knitting needle/anything pointy you can get your hands on, then (with a friend if possible, or make the pointy thing static), put it inside the glove and use it to 'push' the finger the rest of the way through. When you do this on them all they're totally inside out and dry a hell of a lot quicker. Same process in reverse to get them the right way round.

Fiddly, but it works a lot better than just leaving them to dry normally!!

Good luck :)
jonesieboy on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to George_Surf:

I'll try the inside-out with skewer trick when I get home. I haven't made it out into the snow with them yet but they were excellent for the cold wet work of shifting dinghys out of the flooded North Berwick harbour today.
happy_c - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to George_Surf: without meaning to hijack where does everybody get them from?
In reply to happy_c: Arco.
http://www.arco.co.uk/

On offer in store at the moment, think they were 4 a pair!
peebles boy - on 17 Dec 2012
In reply to carrot_boy (North East Wales MC):

http://www.arco.co.uk/

On offer in store at the moment, think they were 4 a pair!

Which is a hell of a lot better than anywhere else if you order by post. I went Machine Mart for mine, but with every single site it seemed like postage was as much if not more than a pair of gloves anyway - for 4-6 quid, in store, without too much driving to find your nearest store, I think these gloves are probably the best value for money winter gloves going, and I'll be stopping by Arco the next time I'm passing and buying a few more pairs whilst they're going cheap - I notice they now have a "full coverage" waterproofing/rubbery bit too.

On a side note, surely it can't be too long til Skytec find out they're onto a winner here, and start bumping up the price of their gloves....??
Dave 88 - on 17 Dec 2012
In reply to peebles boy:

Got a few pairs of the fully waterproof ones on the way. I'll post here when they arrive with some gen.
Northern Climber on 18 Dec 2012
In reply to George_Surf: got a pair of the normal ones and a pair of the fully waterproof ones. havent used either pair in anger yet. from looking at them the fully waterproof ones are a lot stiffer and will probably be tricker to do ropework in. i'll see how they go though.
ads.ukclimbing.com
jonnie3430 - on 18 Dec 2012
In reply to George_Surf:

I get them dry overnight, just leave them tips down on a warm radiator so the the cuff points up. As the insides heat, the damp air will rise from the glove. You have to make sure the fingers are straight and the air can get out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.