/ Scottish Winter - Quarks/Matrix Tech

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
blackreaver - on 15 Dec 2012
Anyone got any advice on what axes for scottish winter. For leading III to VI?
I'm looking specifically at the Petzl Quark and Grivel Matrix Tech and leaning away from the BD Viper.
Advantages and disadvantages welcome along with any personal experience or any other useful info.

Thanks
BR
machars on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to blackreaver: I have the grivel quantum techs which imho are the finest waterfall ice axe around. I use vipers for Scottish stuff as I like the extra weight for swinging into turf etc. much prefer them to quarks but then everyone is different (mates quark trigger thing broke off on their first route I think then again when they were replaced). Won't go far wrong with any of them!
highclimber - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to blackreaver: I have one of each (old style quark adze) and I find the matrix much easier to swing due to its weight and the quark less jarring when I hit something hard!
nufkin - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to blackreaver:

There's also the new DMM Apex to consider - a touch more curved than the Quarks, and heavier than the Matrix Tech, but you can adjust the swing with head weights, and the hand rests are abit more robust than the Quarks'
Murko Fuzz - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to blackreaver:

I used to use a pair of matrix techs, they're light and extremely comfortable to use, however the hammer is worse than useless and I find Grivel metal to be be a bit too soft.
I'd go for the Quark.
scottie390 - on 15 Dec 2012
In reply to blackreaver: using the new quarks atm and well happy with them, have heard about and witnessed several deficiencies regards grivel axes.
CurlyStevo - on 16 Dec 2012
In reply to blackreaver:
out of interest why not the vipers?
Cameron94 on 16 Dec 2012
In reply to blackreaver: I was drooling over the DMM apex axes yesterday but I think when I upgrade my axtars (with mods)in a cauple of years I'll go for the switch.

Both of them would be worth a look in imo although I've not actually seen a switch yet. Waiting for them to be realeased still!
iksander on 17 Dec 2012
In reply to blackreaver: I've had Grivel Matrix Tech and found them very good. Light strong, good swing. Found the handle a bit thin for big hands, picks are bomber - quite thick for ice. Never tried Quarks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.