/ mid layer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Wee Davie - on 16 Dec 2012
What are you guys and gals using for a Winter mid layer?
I'm currently sporting a Jack Foreskin synthetic pullover thingy (with additional custom sewn- in crotch strap to prevent riding up), but am keen to go hooded for my next one.
Do you advocate one of these very furry fleecey garments that seem popular nowadays?
What about the Rab Vapour Rise Alpine and indeed, Lite?
It's so confusing....

Cameron94 on 16 Dec 2012
In reply to Wee Davie: http://rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothing/fleece/ps-zip-top.html

It doesn't have a hood but I tent to always wear hats so it doesn't bother me. It is very hot though so I can only use it when it's really chilly without sweating buckets.

Wee Davie - on 16 Dec 2012
In reply to Cameron94:

Do you have to belay for long periods of time wearing it?
thin bob on 16 Dec 2012
In reply to Wee Davie:
Paramo hoody?
thinking about putting a neck drawcord in my one, but that's because i use it as a baselater too.

Patagonia hoody? nice, but expensive (can't remember the name, sorry, capilene 4 maybe.)
dek - on 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Wee Davie:
Just thinking about a stretchy PS top too, with another Hoody type layer on top of that for Baltic weather. A wind proof, and maybe also a vest under a shell if it's mingin.
Same price as a glorified 'wooly vest' but faster drying, and unrestrictive.
Towerridge do them cheap!

http://www.towerridge.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7_12
nufkin - on 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Wee Davie:
> Foreskin synthetic pullover thingy (with additional custom sewn- in crotch strap to prevent riding up

??!
Ben Sharp - on 17 Dec 2012
In reply to nufkin: Personally I was hoping that was a pseudonym for Wolfskin but I could be wrong.
nniff - on 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Wee Davie:

Powerstretch for me, under a softshell, but I have acquired a rather nice Marmot thingy that is one of those grid like fabrics. It fits well and has about the right level of toastiness, so it might usurp the powerstretch. On top of that, it's not black, and I am tiring rather of my ninja-esque atire.
Shearwater - on 17 Dec 2012
I have a Rab Boulder which is one of theose very furry fleecey things. The fabric is about 200gsm, but it feels much nicer than old-school 200-weight fleece, packs down a little better and is a good bit warmer. The way Rab cut it means it makes a shitty mid under anything that doesn't have a slick lining (eg down or primaloft outer) cos the sleeves tend to ride up. The jacket version has slightly better thought out sleeves and thumbloops and stuff.

Non-fluffy thermal pro is a much better midlayer fabric to my mind; the Patagonia R2 looks to be the best example there. Lighter, squashier, layers better, but doesn't feel nearly as nice.

Got a hooded mid in the form of my Smoulder. The hood is a little bit of a hassle to be honest, but in really chilly weather its jolly nice to have it on under a helmet.
ads.ukclimbing.com
terrarob on 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Wee Davie: I have to agree with a few others here, Power Stretch pieces are really good. Most brands have various versions of PS. I climbing in Glencoe last week in my North Face PS top, brilliant piece, warmer than a normal (equivalent) weight fleece, most windproof, tougher, stretchier....!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.