/ Antalya with baby?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mike1979 - on 17 Dec 2012
Was thinking of going to Geyikbayiri in March, but would it be suitable with a 9 month old? Initially we were attracted by the hassle-free, no car necessary, short approaches, but now concerned about suitability of accommodation... Anyone been there with kids/babies? Or perhaps you have a completely different European destination suggestion? Cheers, Mike
andyb211 - on 17 Dec 2012
In reply to mike1979: You should be fine in one of the josito cabins and theere are other places near too just can't recall the name, crag access is good and the base of most crags are safe enough for little one, is he / she mobile yet? A couple of blankets a bit of karrimat should make a good "nest" for baby to relax in and watch the action!

Been on tons of trips with our little ones, now not so little and putting ropes up for Dad!

Have a great time and remember the Calpol ;)

Andy + Rebecca

Callum 12, Tomas 10, James 8, Jonathan 6, Euan 4 and Sophia 25 weeks!
Bulls Crack - on 18 Dec 2012
In reply to mike1979:

One thing you may need to consider, if you aren't hiring a car, is that there are convenient shops. There's a market a few miles down the road and Antalya is further on still. You'll need to get the buses/lifts sorted if you need regular supplies an if you need something quickly then be prepared to wait!

There is a shop in the village but it is somewhat limited - crisps, beer, biscuits some fruit and veg
mike1979 - on 18 Dec 2012
In reply to mike1979: Thanks for the tips - feel reassured now that it's a good choice.
Heike - on 18 Dec 2012
In reply to mike1979:
Hi, went there with our 18 months old. We stayed at the climbers garden. It was fantastic. We stayed in a cabin for two plus a babybed provided by Climbers Garden. Turkish people adore kids, so it was amazing. Everyone played with our wee man and wanted to entertain him. Climbing is very easily accessible with babes.
Have fun
Bulls Crack - on 18 Dec 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to mike1979)
>
> One thing you may need to consider, if you aren't hiring a car, is that there are convenient shops.

Rather there aren't convenient shops! But perfectly civilized..in fact more s0 - Turkish people very friendly and dignified at the same time.
mumtaz.ay - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to mike1979:

After living in London for 8 years I moved to Geyikbayiri this Autumn and I agree with the other posts. Geyikbayiri is very convenient for babies and children. Weather will be lovely in March and you can spend most of your time outdoors which helps to stay even in the smallest bungalow.

Josito, Kezban (which is next to Josito), Climbers Garden and Peak Guest House offer bungalows of various sizes, some has bathrooms too. They all are very short distance from crags. Camp sites and communal facilities can be a bit busy during major holidays. There is a lovely climbing community atmosphere in all those places and you can find climbing partners if you need to. You will meet quite a few parents with children too.

1 mile up the road in Geyikbayiri village itself there some rooms/ apartments for rent if you are looking for a bit more privacy and comfort. I operate Aslan House which is advertised in UKC.

A car would be useful for shopping and sampling different crags but not an absolute must and can be hired easily in Geyikbayiri if you need to. All camps would help you to arrange it.

Let me know if you have any questions. I am more than happy to help fellow British climbers and parents.

waj - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to andyb211: Jeez! 6 kids!?
Jamie B - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to mike1979:

Not wanting to put you off, and there may be no more objective danger there than anywhere else, but this may be worth noting: http://www.planetmountain.com/english/News/shownews1.lasso?keyid=37423
Big Steve - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack: if you are picking up the hire car from the airport, there are several large supermarkets in easy reach. If you take the D400 through Antalya you will pass close to a large Migros. Heres a link to a google map with loads of supermarkets on

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=supermarkets+antalya&fb=1&gl=uk&...

Watch out for the dolmus drivers on Turkish roads, some are mad!
Bulls Crack - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Big Steve:
> (In reply to Bulls Crack) if you are picking up the hire car from the airport, there are several large supermarkets in easy reach. If you take the D400 through Antalya you will pass close to a large Migros. Heres a link to a google map with loads of supermarkets on
>
> https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=supermarkets+antalya&fb=1&gl=uk&...
>
> Watch out for the dolmus drivers on Turkish roads, some are mad!

So I saw on the way to and from and I was pleased in the end we didn't hire a car!

Bulls Crack - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:
> (In reply to mike1979)
>
> Not wanting to put you off, and there may be no more objective danger there than anywhere else, but this may be worth noting: http://www.planetmountain.com/english/News/shownews1.lasso?keyid=37423

I see she recovered well as of 2011 - has some development problems - but good news.

The bases of cliffs just aren't 'safe' place to park kids.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.