Skiing forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Touring-Lite Kit

andy - on 17 Dec 2012
All you lot going on about touring and stuff in Scotland and the Lakes (and further afield) has got me thinking about buying some clobber. I've got "free ride" boots with a walk mode (lighter then full on piste boots with switchable soles and tongues), but have always rented skis for lift-served on and off piste skiing.

However I'm getting a hankering to do some short day tours at home as well as getting a bit further away from the lifts in the Alps - it's getting so I can be reasonably sure of a couple of trips a year now).

The economics of buying still don't really add up, but the ability to whizz over to the lakes when conditions are good is attractive, as is getting a bit further afield in the alps.

So...I've got the boots. I've seen some last-year K2 Hardside skis in a local shop, which I can get with skins and Marker Baron bindings for 550. I've read that switching modes in Barons can't be done with skis on, so I've also had a quote for the new Scott Guardian (same as the Salomon ones) for 685 (still loads less than list price).

Or I can get a full set up, same skis (this year's model) but including skins AND poles, from sport conrad for about ninety quid less.

Now I'd far rather buy local, but that's a lot of money to buy near home. And on second thoughts, do I want to buy at all for the few times I'll be able to use it at home (we live in the Dales, so Lakes is easy enough but Scotland's a trek).

Alternatively, is it possible to rent touring kit in the Alps? I've never seen it anywhere - but I can rent for five years holidays for what it'll cost me to buy, and that's before I've paid fifty quid a time to fly it out there. I wonder whether I'd be better having a few goes
... not showing 16 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums