/ Any one use these boots?!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Irishpotatos on 17 Dec 2012
Hi,

I posted this in the Hill Walking forum as well but I was Just wondering if anyone has used or had any experiences with these boots - Meindl Softline Light GTX boots?

Do you reckon they'd stand upto use in the Breacons, Pen Y Fan etc all year round??
crustypunkuk - on 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Irishpotatos:
I haven't used this particular model, but i have a pair of Meindls for everyday use, and a pair of Meindl B2s for winter use and i cannot fault either. They are comfy (if they fit your feet), they last forever, and they perform excellently.
So try them on-Meindls generally are a wide fit- and if they fit, go for it!
Irishpotatos on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk:
> (In reply to Irishpotatos)
> I haven't used this particular model, but i have a pair of Meindls for everyday use, and a pair of Meindl B2s for winter use and i cannot fault either. They are comfy (if they fit your feet), they last forever, and they perform excellently.
> So try them on-Meindls generally are a wide fit- and if they fit, go for it!

Hi mate,

I've used Meindl's before, I get on well great with them! I have already tried these boots on in Cotswolds, they fit good but I've never used a fabric boot before other than in a warm weather environment! Just wasn't sure about them holding up to all year round use.
spearing05 - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Irishpotatos: The paths in the beacons are by and large very good - especially on PYF. They would be fine for year round use though if you want to get up there in full winter nick they're not going to be ideal. That said Ive seen people slipping and sliding up there in Uggs and the MR team gets supprisingly few calls for people who have fallen in these conditions so I'd say so long as you are sensible and skirt icy sections, use a pole(s) youd get away with the main path up PYF even with full snow cover.

Basically aside from snow the beacons are not a lot different in the winter to the summer as far as your feet are concerned. Any time of the year it is likely they will be cold and wet . . .
mattrm - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Irishpotatos:

As long as they fit well then I'm sure they'll be fine. But then I wear trail/fell running shoes on PyF and the local area all year round. As others have noted, the paths are good and I can't really think of any of the major paths that are so steep you'd need a set of crampons. Maybe the descent off Cribyn in the direction of Brecon. However winter conditions are so fleeting I don't think it's a major concern.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Irishpotatos on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to spearing05:

Cheers mate!

Done PYF a couple of times before in Lowa Mtn GTX boots - way to heavy to move quick and have never been convinced that the grip on them is any better!
Just looking something lighter yet sturdy (Jacobs ladder & Roman road etc) to be honest, maybe I'll hang off until after christmas to see if they end up in the Cotswolds sale ... fingers crossed ha ha

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.