/ enough equipment?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Gibclimber - on 19 Dec 2012
Good Day to all,

First of all I'd like to introduce myself to the forums. My name is Ryan Castle, I'm from Gibraltar and I'm 16, I'm a student at the moment studying Sociology & Home Economics. I've always had an interest into climbing since a very early age ie: 10. I've done a few courses such as: Lead climbing, setting up a top-rope and an introduction to via ferratas. Although these are the only ''qualifications'' I attain at the moment, I have learnt more from other climbers locally and from Spain.

I've had my basic equipment for sport climbing but this year for Christmas I've asked for more equipment to extend my limitations further in sport climbing/abseiling and some trad climbing. I have listed the equipment I will be recieving and I could always change stuff, I just need advice before it's too late, ( too much of a certain piece of equipment, general advice etc).

x1 Simond rope/equipment bag
x1 Petzl Corax harness
x2 Simond Goliath HMS screwgate carabiners
x2 Simond ordenary carabiners
x1 Simond Toucan belay device
x1 Simond figure of 8 belay device
x6 Simond Rocky quickdraws
x2 snap gate carabiners
size 6 Kong chock
x1 Petzl pulley
x2 Beal 16mm x 120cm slings
x1 Chalk bag
x1 Simond 10.2mm x 70m rope
x1 Beal 9.5mm x 20m rope (my old one i used for sport climbing )
x1 Simond climbing shoes

Anything I should add to my cart before then, or change? once again, I'll be doing a few sport climbs however mainly, abseiling as I enjoy it the most.

replies appriciated, Ryan
turtlespit - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Gibclimber: you don't really need a figure8 if you have a normal belay device. Use the normal belay device for abseiling and avoid the twisted ropes that a figure8 creates.
In reply to turtlespit: Thanks for that, Guess that could be 9 to change for something else such as a quickdraw maybe. Cheers.
Landy_Dom on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Gibclimber:

To you already have the pulley? what do you use it for?

I have 2 and never use them so I wouldn't go out and buy one unless you have a very specific use in mind.
Landy_Dom on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Gibclimber:

Agree on the fig 8 by the way - just use your belay device (I assume it'll handle double ropes?)
jkarran - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Gibclimber:

You don't say which bits you have and which you're looking to add so it's rather hard to suggest what to change.

In general terms for sport between you and your partner you need as a practical minimum:

*60m of <10.5mm rope (70m better)
*10 quickdraws (15 better)
*Belay plate and locking krab
*A locking krab
*Harness, Shoes

Nice to have:
*60cm cow's tail sling and locking krab
*Helmet and chalk

If your main passion is abseiling add:
*15m of 10-11mm static rigging rope
*A couple of locking krabs
*A 120cm sling
*A rope protector, some carpet scraps and string
*1.5m of 5mm cord for a Prusic loop

If Gibraltar really is amazing place for abseiling and you're not soon bored of it then a dedicated abseil device like a Rack from Petzl (put it on a burly maillon to be safe) makes the whole process much less unpleasant.

jk
flour - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Gibclimber: I would ditch the rope bag. Put money towards more "chocks". You will struggle to do much trad with that setup.

If you enjoy abseiling then get a helmet , It's a no brainer!
itsThere on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Gibclimber: guide book and more quickdraws
neuromancer - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Gibclimber:

You're lacking on stuff for trad. To buy a sport rack that then you can add protection and runners to, make sure that the quick draws are wiregates.

Lose the fig8.

Save on ropes for now, as you'd want halves for trad.

And get thinner slings, you'll thank yourself later.
iksander on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Gibclimber: Abseiling is a much more dangerous hobby than climbing, most climbers hate it! Be careful.
king_of_gibraltar - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Gibclimber:

Ryan, I'll split what you need into three groups for the sort of stuff you're planning on doing. Basic stuff, sport climbing stuff and Trad stuff.

1. Basic kit.
Harness
Rockboots
Belay Device
Cow's Tail
Chalk Bag
Helmet
Head Torch

2. Sport Climbing Kit.
12 Quickdraws (sufficient for the crags we have near us).
Gri gri (not essential but I prefer using it for sport)
Mallion (again not essential but useful.

3. Trad Stuff.
Build this up slowly.
Start with a set of nuts.
Slowly save and buy cams.
Lots of slings in different sizes.
For Trad in Gib half ropes are essential.

Then you can start buying all those little bits of kit that you don't really need but want anyway (i.e. pulley).
king_of_gibraltar - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to neuromancer:
> (In reply to Gibclimber)
make sure that the quick draws are wiregates.

Brilliant advice. You'll save a lot of money this way.
skarabrae - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to king_of_gibraltar:

Hi Chris ! thanks for the replies, Just came back from decathelon in Mijas and changed a few things.

p.s Thanks to all for the extremely quick replies!

Ryan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.