/ Recommended route....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jackwd - on 19 Dec 2012
Not sure what part of the forum to put this is but I had an idea about having some sort of route recommendation section in the logbook. Basically it would work like suggested friends on Facebook or artists on Spotify. So when you fill in your logbook and add a route, it suggests a similar style route. So if you're more of a fan of thuggy routes than technical ones or vice-versa it would suggest a similar sort of route in the area or that crag that you may enjoy because of the style of it. 3 star routes would obviously be more recommended than lower starred routes also. I'm not quite sure how this would be implemented but I thought it was a good idea worth sharing.

Apologise for any spelling errors, wrote on an iPad.
neuromancer - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Jackwd:

Seeing as the logbooks currently don't give climbs labels like some guidebooks do, it's probably be an exhausting process to design.

The only implementable way would be to add another polling vote option, e.g. "Is this route most typified by the phrase "Pumpy", "Technical", "Thrutchy", "Powerful", "Crimpy", "Balancy", but even then those things are so subjective. There are many routes that would be impossible to say if they were more technical or crimpy, or whatever.

The best way to find good climbs is to sort by wishlisted or by ticklisted at your grade.
john arran - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to neuromancer:

By far the easiest way to achieve something worthwhile would be to have an Amazon-style "People who liked this route also liked..." feature.

And I can understand why you might want to apologise for having an ipad but apparently the condition is curable.
Jimbo C - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Jackwd:
> 3 star routes would obviously be more recommended than lower starred routes

Noooo, there are already enough people standing at the bottom of Stanage with guidebook in hand saying 'this one's only got 2 stars, let's find something else'

Overall, nice idea in principle, probably a complete ball ache to implement.
Bulls Crack - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Jackwd:

Why bother? It just takes way more initiative than has already been taken away by selective guides, the Coffee table books and the star system

Give the climbs a break eh?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.