/ Hampi - end January/ early Feb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jus - on 19 Dec 2012
Anyone going to be out there around this time?

I am going to be in India for work and I might be able to squeeze in a short trip to Hampi.
silo - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Jus:A great place. Go!
Guy Atkinson - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Jus: DO IT! you'll meet loads of climbers worry not.
lost1977 - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Jus:

lucky you thats the time of year i was there, its gonna be pretty hot
Rock Badger on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Jus: yes its ace nice and warm, wish i could be going too, hope your fingers are tough :)
Jus - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Jus:

Is it a popular time of year for climbers? You can hire a bouldering mat, right?
Rock Badger on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Jus: ye thier was one place along the river side on hippy side of river where a dude hires mats and the like
gary lewin - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Jus: Unfortunately wont be there but highly recommend staying at Goan Corner Guesthouse. There'll be loads of climbers there and they hire mats.
Jus - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to gary lewin:

Any idea what the quickest way to get from Dehli to Hampi is?

Fly to Goa and overnight bus to Hampi?
martinph78 on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Jus: Envious of you! I'd take the train, not the quickest way but a great experience all the same.
gary lewin - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Jus: Can't comment on the flight from Delhi but going from Goa i'd say get the Goa express (train) from Margao to Hospet then a tuk tuk to Hampi. Make sure you book in advance though as foreigners are only allocated a certain amount of seats and the booking clerks aren't very helpful. Also if your gonna stay on the island the last ferry is 6pm.
Guy Atkinson - on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Jus:
I would fly to goa if you can afford it.. it'll take you a few days by train, then get either a sleeper bus to hospet/hampi from there or the train in the day from margao, i had a seat booked before but as i discovered later in India it's pretty easy to turn up at the station, buy a general class ticket for 40-80Rs or something and then get into sleeper class ..or 3 tier ac, maybe even 2 tier ac, and then find a spot, as it's daytime not many will be using the bunks and you can squish about 6 people onto each bench, then when the conductor comes along just pay for an upgrade to the appropriate class. A lot of people online seem to think that you're bribing the conductor but there's a legitimate upgrade system in place, sometimes they'll tell you to move because they know where there's a free bunk.
Also definitely stay in the goan corner or manju's next door.
And take tape and climb-on for your fingers ;)
ads.ukclimbing.com
Jus - on 21 Dec 2012

I wont have much time, so a train from Delhi is not the best idea I think!

Thanks for all the pointers, guys - appreciated.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.