/ Mera peak and Nepal Evo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Darkskys - on 19 Dec 2012
I've read a few threads on here about a variety of boots suitable for Mera especially plastics. But ive got a comfortable pair of snug Nepal's that are awesome would they be suitable for the summit day?
Has anyone had any experience with them at around 6000m?
tall paul - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Darkskys: I suppose it really depends on how much your toes are worth. Personally, mine would be worth the price of a pair of plastics! (and I bet you have paid a couple of grand getting out there and on kit already!)
Darkskys - on 19 Dec 2012
In reply to tall paul: I've lteady got the majority of kit bar a few bits one of which is the boots.
Just trying to figure out whether its worth buying a new pair or renting some as it'll just be a one off.
CliffPowys on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Darkskys: I have a pair of EVOs which I use as general alpine boots. However they are not really warm enough for Mera, or any other 6000m+ mountain. You might get away with it but there would be a substantial risk. I suggest that you rent a pair of plastics in Kathmandu. Be aware that sizes over UK 8 can be hard to find, so make your arrangements with your Kathmandu contact or trekking company well in advance.

You should enjoy Mera. The climb is easy, aside from the attitude, and the view from the top is spectacular!
Darkskys - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to CliffPowys: many thanks pal, I guess it's worth renting a pair or looking for a cheap pair going on eBay.

Thanks again chaps
Nath - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Darkskys: I've got a pair of plastics - used once on Mera Peak and Island Peak size 41.

If they are your size you can borrow them.

My toes were super toasty in them.

Nath
hokkyokusei - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Darkskys:
If you buy a pair of second hand plastics say scraps Vegas you will be able to sell them when you get back to Kathmandu. You may even get what you paid for them.
hokkyokusei - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to hokkyokusei:

scraps = Scarpa!
aultguish on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Darkskys:
Denbigh army surplus also sell plastic boots. I used to have a pair of ex mil Lowa plastics from them which I had no problems with.
Google them, website was shit but thier quick on the phone and get kit out to you pretty fast.

Siward on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Darkskys: what's the view on over gaiters- you know, neoprene wetsuit material type things?
Darkskys - on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Nath: cheers Nath I'm a size 45 though pal, well appreciated though :)
Darkskys - on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Siward: that's it I heard a guide used to go out and summit in just his evo's although he did pack some over gaiters "just incase" and that was on I e of the old threads off here.
hkstu - on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Darkskys: 9 times out of 10 they would be fine, but if you get some weather or a dip in temperature they might not be warm enough. Its usually approx a 1am start. If you don't want to buy a pair what about hiring some from Shonas in Thamal. They stock most sizes. Alternatively neoprene overboots, but then you need the cramps with the basket fronts
Kevin Rutherford - on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Darkskys:Ive worn Nepal Evos on Mera twice with vapour barrier socks and my feet were fine, no colder than a poor winters day in Scotland. All the group were wearing plastics and one member still had frost nip on his big toes. We all take to the cold slightly differently, maybe poorly fitted boots?. Both summit mornings were -10/15 (at a guess). Having all your kit ready and prepared for the summit morning makes a huge difference,put your boots in your rucsac (inside the tent if possible) and hopefully starting warm after being in a good sleeping bag is just as important. Youll not be walking that quick, so if you start cold, you might struggle to warm up.
ads.ukclimbing.com
roy-w - on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Ecosse Mountains:

i dit mera peak on la sportiva nepal top's got cold wen i wasn't walking.

water was frozen solid after 30min in a nalgene bottle.

roy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.