/ Complete Newbie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
tipsy - on 20 Dec 2012
Having never had a go at skiing in my life before, I'm contemplating a spontaneous last minute ski weekend over the Christmas break.

Any advice on how to go about this? Is it best to get lessons or just hire skis and have a go? I'd be going with a mate who can ski and I have good balance from surfing, mountain boarding, skating and the like (although I realize they're probably completely different)

Any tips?
iccy - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to tipsy:

I'd definitely go for lessons. If you get a good instructor and some one-on-one coaching you can improve quickly - particularly if you're fit and strong.

It depends on how good your mate is, but it's not really worth going to one of the 'big' resorts for your first trip. You would pay a lot more for a lift pass and not get much of the benefit from all the extra runs.
ripper - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to tipsy: If you have time to squeeze it in before you go, I'd recommend a lesson at one of those indoor snow slopes (Tamworth. Milton Keynes etc). Will give you a proper feel for what it's like sliding around with planks on your feet and a headstart when you get there.
tipsy - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to ripper: Looking like I might end up going tomorrow now so probably no time for that! Potentially chamonix as know people to stay with there. Any reccomendations for good ski hire places and good schools?
Carless - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to tipsy:

you definitely want to ski?

Sounds like you might be better boarding
tipsy - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Carless: Conundrum. I'd probably rather board. But I'd rather 'learn' to ski so that winter mountaineering becomes accessible.
tim000 - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Carless:
> (In reply to tipsy)
>
> you definitely want to ski?
>
> Sounds like you might be better boarding

+1
Carless - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to tipsy:

If you're really off tomorrow just for the weekend, you might well have more fun with a board (as you say you surf ok) - apart from the 1st 30mins of wtf!

For skiing, definitely have lessons as it's hard to unlearn bad habits
Rock Badger on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to tipsy: snow boarding is easier to get better faster after spending a certain amount of time on your arse,,,, skiing is just better :) especially when you get past the mighty hip wrenching snow plow
Paul Hy - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to tipsy: defo get ski lessons and 1 to 1 if you can stretch to it. otherwise you'll simply not progress
hokipoki - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to tipsy: Also - never forget the split board. Beautiful bits of kit .
pec on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to tipsy:

There's nothing wrong with just having a go to see how you get on at first, it won't destroy your chances of ever being able to ski well.
I've taken 2 or 3 complete novices skiing with me. They could all stay on their feet (mostly) by lunchtime and get down easy blues by the end of the first day. If you're fairly sporty that's not unreasonable to expect.

Also,If you decide not to shell out on lessons, bear in mind most resorts have a few short easy runs which can be used for free without a lift pass. For the first day that might be enough to go at and save a few bob which could pay for a lesson later.

I do think that at some point its worth having a lesson or two but unless you're really crap at first you'd get more bang for your buck if you could actually stay on your feet for most it.

If/when you do have lessons, I'd endorse the suggestion you get a private one. An hour or two in a 1 to 1 is more use than a day's group lesson where essentially you just watch the instructor and try to copy him. You might as well just watch people who look like they can ski and try to copy them for the amount of useful input you get in a group lesson.
DundeeDave - on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to pec: +1 for what Pec said
ads.ukclimbing.com
Paul Hy - on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to pec:
> (In reply to tipsy)

You might as well just watch people who look like they can ski and try to copy them for the amount of useful input you get in a group lesson.

yep

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.