/ Littondale, Halton Gill/Foxup and surrounds.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
TheDrunkenBakers - on 20 Dec 2012
Afternoon,

Im planning my single Xmas hill walk and I keen to try somewhere Ive not been before; Ive focused the head of Littondale and Halton Gill/Foxup.

Does anyone know this area? The walk Im looking to do is a counter clockwise, onto Plover Hill then, Fountains Fell (avoiding Pen-y-Ghent as Ive been here before and I dont want to re-tread steps), Darnbrook Fell Birks Fell and return.

Is this a circular which can be done in a few hours as I wont have much time and are the paths nicely marked, especially between Plover and Fountains Fells?
JB - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

I don't have a map to hand so can't comment on timings etc but:

-this is a really nice part of the Dales

- Plover Hill is a huge bog at this time of year...and probably even more so given all the recent rain.
Wiley Coyote - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to JB:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers)
>

> - Plover Hill is a huge bog at this time of year...and probably even more so given all the recent rain.

It's all a bit clarty round here at the moment and it's forecast to rain every day up to and including Christmas Eve.

Pennine - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: As said above, Plover Hill will be very boggy, with no discernible or marked path to Blishmere House. Fountain Fell to Darnbrook is boggy at the best of times so likely to be grim after all this rain (unless you like this type of walking!)

Personally, I'd go from Kettlewell to Cam Head, Down track to Starbotton. FP to Buckden Mine & descend waterfalls FP to Buckden. Redmire to Firth Fell and SE along ridge to meet BW from Arncliffe. Descend east to Moor End & follow BW down to Kettlewell. (You could go via Buckden Pike but increases the time)

Decent paths and very little bogs to cross. Of course this may be familiar territory. Best of luck with your original route.
TheDrunkenBakers - on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Pennine: Hmm, not sure I want a bog trot really so Ill leave this until drier times.

What about Kettlewell over Tor Mere Top, Buckden Pike and then Noughtberry Hill and then perhaps over Brown Haw and then the road back to Kettlewell (the road that passes close to Whernside?
TheDrunkenBakers - on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Or maybe start/finish at Starbottom.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Pennine - on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: I can't help on Knoutberry or Brown Haw, never walked over there. If you drop down the BW from the memorial on Buckden Pike towards Kentucky Farm there is a private shooter's track which heads towards Knoutberry. How far no idea!

Starting from Starbotton you'll need to be early due to limited parking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.